New Beer Thursday: O'So Brewing Company's Night Train

New Beer

O'So Brewing Company's Night Train is incredibly candid. The minimalist label outlines the tastes to come, guiding your palate with mainstay descriptors like ""complex"" and ""bold"" as well as more esoteric ones like ""chewy"" and ""judicious."" What kind of experience do you get from Night Train? A pleasant surprise, you get more than what's advertised.

The words on the bottle describe the ideal porter. A great porter has a sweetness unknown to other beers because of the immense amount of caramel used in the brewing process. Night Train has a slight head that paints the top a mysterious, dark mocha color. It's an inviting sight that complements the full-bodied darkness of the beer. The smell of a standard-issue porter, indicating an ardent flavor, permeates the experience.

Like other porters, Night Train is gluttonous. Night Train is a more affable liquid cheeseburger that wants to make a name for itself. At first sip, it's easy to compare it to Anchor Brewing Co.'s glorious porter: Both are rich in flavor and aroma, suppressing the hoppiness underneath complex flavors.

But with a little patience, the Train's true nature emerges in the form of a nice smoky aftertaste that lingers just enough to make an impact. This little twist sets Night Train apart from being just a good porter, though there is nothing wrong with that

Unlike the porter's counterpart the stout, warmth does little for Night Train.

Night Train is a cold beer best served on a really cold day, preferably closer to the holidays rather than springtime. It's taste complements the minimalism of its aesthetics. But then Night Train starts chugging along, picking up speed and eventually distinguishing itself precisely by being exactly what you want in a porter, replete with subtle variations that round out the experience.

Best served: In a pint glass, straight out of the refrigerator.