College Democrats endorse Eicher

As the College Democrats of Madison, we strive to advance progressive issues that benefit the student population. We work to elect officials at all levels of government who support our agenda and keep in mind the interests of students. It is for these reasons that we are proud to support our fellow student, Analiese Eicher, for Dane County Supervisor in the 5th District.

Analiese is currently in her fourth year at UW-Madison. She has worked with many different students from a variety of organizations during this time, from which she has learned the values and concerns of the campus community. However, she did not see adequate attention being given at the county level to the concerns of her peers. It was this desire to give students a strong voice on the County Board that motivated her candidacy.

As an organization, we support Analiese because she has shown an incredible dedication to issues that affect us as students, and is whole-heartedly committed to maintaining an open line of communication between herself and the campus community. Analiese will uphold the tradition of fellow student public officials Bryon Eagon and Eli Judge by always being accessible to constituents and advocating tirelessly for student issues. Her pledges to keep in touch with students by holding office hours, frequently updating a blog and a Twitter account, continuing to be an active and involved student, and regularly providing updates about the county government in the school papers show that she is serious about building a close relationship between students and their Supervisor, and further committed to helping the student population.

In addition to Analiese's dedication to being an accessible representative for the campus community, she has put a focus on the most pressing issues facing her constituents. By speaking passionately on issues such as the environment, campus safety, and accessibility to human services, she makes it clear that she understands the needs of the campus community, and will fight for them on the County Board. Analiese will take pragmatic steps to improve the quality of the air and the lakes so that we can fully utilize our natural resources. She will work closely with the Sheriff's department to ensure that the campus community remains safe for everyone. Additionally, Analiese will work to make sure that the resources provided by the county are available to students, and that members of the campus community know how to access them.

The outcome of the April 6 election will impact how we as students are represented at the county level for the next two years. This campus needs a representative who will restore the relationship between students and the County Board by being accessible and furthering issues that matter to us. Analiese Eicher is not an activist trying to push her own agenda on the County Board. She is a fellow student who will fight for the UW-Madison community. The College Democrats believe Analiese Eicher will represent a strong student voice on the Dane County Board, and we call on our fellow students to do the same.

—Evan Giesemann and Maggie Bahrmasel

College Democrats of Madison