Letter to the Editor

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

College Democrats endorse Eicher

As the College Democrats of Madison, we strive to advance progressive issues that benefit the student population. We work to elect officials at all levels of government who support our agenda and keep in mind the interests of students. It is for these reasons that we are proud to support our fellow student, Analiese Eicher, for Dane County Supervisor in the 5th District.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Campus in need of eating disorder support

While reading Melissa Grau's article, it was quite clear to me that she has never sought treatment from University Health Services for an eating disorder. Anyone who has actually taken the courageous step of seeking help, would certainly not be praising UHS for their ""outstanding caregiving and counselling."" One would hope that the most fatal mental illness would receive such a response; however, that is not the case at UHS.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

WISPIRG essential to UW campus

I was upset to read a recent Cardinal editorial depicting WISPIRG's staffing infrastructure as a misuse of segregated fees. The editorial overlooked several important points, including WISPIRG's history and methods of success and the nature of the segregated fee process in this university.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Column does disservice to campus community

As a teaching assistant on campus here who daily observes the way that racism functions within the UW academic community, I wanted to write to express my extraordinary dismay at your willingness to publish Andrew Carpenter's opinion column. I am all for diversity of opinion and First Amendment rights, but one would presume that some editorial discretion would have been warranted in this particular case. To allow those opinions to be disseminated campuswide to an almost lily-white student body is, at best, counterproductive to the university's project of minority recruitment and, at worst, completely alienates minority students and grants legitimacy to divisive racist sentiments to which Madison is certainly no stranger.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

'Colorblind' opinion cause for concern

Andrew Carpenter's Tuesday column, ""Race deserves no place in university admissions,"" is a poorly-argued embarrassment to the students of the UW campus. The entire piece is uncorroborated conjecture. From his opening claim that ""there are almost no students who pay any attention to race"" to his belief that ""it makes sense to expect minority students to drop out at higher rates than white students,"" Mr. Carpenter's journalistic atrocity is representative of nothing more substantive than his own speculation.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Remembering our nation's heroes

In 1919, President Woodrow Wilson observed the first Armistice Day, which would later become Veterans Day, by reflecting ""with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory."" Ninety years later, Americans everywhere continue to honor the service and sacrifice of our nation's veterans on Nov. 11, the anniversary of the end of World War I.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Energetic student voices shape city policies beyond ALRC vote

My name is Bryon Eagon—and no, my first name isn't misspelled. In addition to being a student at UW-Madison, I have the privilege of representing the 8th District as an alder on the City Council here in Madison. Technically, we call it the Common Council, but that's just semantics. Students are the economic, social and cultural engine of Madison, so our opinions and ideas are vital to shaping the future of this great city. But my voice is just one among tens of thousands of young people here in Madison; that's where you come in. I want to know your thoughts, complaints, suggestions and ideas to help inform my priorities and decisions. Why should students care about the micro of micro levels of government when there are more attractive and flashy issues at the state or national level? Let me try to explain.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Student vote on ALRC deserved

I will appoint a UW student to the Alcohol License Review Committee. Ald. Bryon Eagon, The Daily Cardinal and Badger Herald have made convincing cases for the benefits of having a student as a voting member of the ALRC. Students have a unique perspective on these issues and their voices should be heard. Moreover, when UW students show an interest in civic issues, that interest should be encouraged. My hope is that student interest in alcohol policy issues might be the opening for increased student interest in other important civic issues like transportation, economic development, education, lake water quality and downtown redevelopment.

More articles »