Biddy Cent puts 'holla' back in 'Chancellor'

Reclusive rap artist Biddy Cent, also known as Chancellor Biddy Martin of UW-Madison, recently announced plans for of her new album due this March. Biddy Cent's latest album is her second release since her double-platinum debut, You Should Try to Make Money for Yourself, or Become Deceased Attempting to Do So, Because Money is What is Really Important Yo, last April, which turned the young rapper-turned-chancellor into a star overnight.

Biddy Cent, formerly known as C-Biddy, talked at length about the various influences that went into the new album, titled Puttin' the Holla Back in Chancellor, at a news press conference. 

""Yeah... so this new release really hits on some s*** close to my heart. I got really real on some of these new tracks. Gonna blow some minds and s***,"" Biddy Cent explained at the conference.

""Brace yourself to erase yourself, b****es.""

Cent's career took off last August with her quintuple-platinum second release, Mo' Undergrads, Mo' Problems, and since then Biddy Cent has become a household name. 

Cent also recently made headlines with her over-the-top rap feud with fellow artist Lo-Ri-Da, also known as UW-Madison's Dean of Students Lori Berquam. Lo-Ri-Da, who used to go by the rap name DJ Quamcastic, called out Biddy Cent in her single ""Takin' Back Bascom."" In the song, Lo-Ri-Da criticized Biddy Cent on her inability to solve budget woes with lines like, ""Named Biddy Cent 'cause she can't raise a dollar / Now I'm takin' back Bascom so gimme a holla.""

Biddy Cent retaliated with the No. 1 single ""Mean of Students,"" taking shots at Lo-Ri-Da's reputation as a stickler for harsh punishments. Biddy Cent's song drew intense scrutiny and subsequent popularity for the controversial line ""Dean of students / More like mean of students / Lo-Ri-Da swingin' like a prize fighter / Treatin' students like a one-nighter.""

Biddy Cent also came under fire for taking shots at former Chancellor John Wiley with the song ""Wiley Coyote."" In the single, Biddy Cent blamed the current state of the university on Wiley, saying, ""Inherited a sinking ship on the sea / Doing damage control constantly / Still, John C. ain't got s*** on me.""

During the conference, Biddy Cent discussed the wide array of inspirations for her new songs, mentioning everything from the swine flu outbreak to her beloved toy poodle, Oscar.

One such inspiration was the continuing controversy surrounding UW-Madison's contracts with companies suspected of using unjust labor practices. The Student Labor Action Coalition has criticized Biddy Cent's handling of the complaints, and she has fired back with the single from the new album, titled ""Gimme Some SLAC."" In the single, Biddy Cent defended herself from the criticism with lyrics like, ""Under attack, catchin' flak from SLAC /  You b****es know we still under contract / Why don't you gimme some slack / From this legal noose 'round my neck.""

Biddy Cent also collaborated with a number of prominent artists on Chancellor. On one track, Biddy Cent enlisted the vocal skills of Da Rez, also known as current UW-Madison Athletic Director Barry Alvarez. On the track ""Fearless (Booty Shorts Remix),"" Da Rez backs up Biddy Cent's verses with lines like ""Takin' names, breaking rules / Suckin' money from football booster fools / Me, nervous? In distress? / Nah, me and Biddy C. are simply fearless.""

What does the future hold for Biddy Cent? She wasn't ready to give away details, but she did hint at some possibilities.

""Been thinking about breakin' some laws so I can go to jail and get some street cred. Maybe collaborate with Lil Wayne while I'm in there. Me and him got some similar tastes and s***. Don't want life on the inside to change my musical vision, though,"" Cent said at the conference.

""The man gonna throw me in jail someday anyway. You know how the game works.""

Biddy Cent also discussed plans to start up her own record label, with the tentative name Dollaz and B-Cents Records. Da Rez has already committed his next album, ""Open Pantry Nights & Dayne Highlights,"" to the label.

When reporters at the news conference tried to ask Biddy Cent questions after the allotted time frame, she brandished a knife, promptly scattering the remaining journalists.

If you think hip-hop is now officially dead, email Jon at spike@wisc.edu.