ASM may increase stipends for staff

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council and Student Services Finance Committee included several increases for staff stipends in their proposed 2010-'11 budgets, with the highest increase at $3,000.

According to ASM Vice Chair Tom Templeton, the proposed ASM internal budget, which will be finalized by a conference committee next week, would increase some staff stipends about 15 to 20 percent on average.

ASM passed the SSFC budget of about $8,400 for the SSFC chair, $7,000 for the vice chair and $2,800 for the secretary.

Templeton said, however, that there are also several stipend decreases of up to 3 percent.

According to Templeton, the stipends were determined to partially cover staff members' tuition, taking into the account expected cost of living, what the individual receives for financial aid, and expected family contribution.

Templeton said since the staff members receive a set stipend, the positions are automatically paid less than minimum wage for the hours they put into the job.

""It is not near equitable to what the job demands of you,"" he said.

According to SSFC Chair Brandon Williams, some stipends increased this year to ensure that they will never increase arbitrarily again.

The proposed stipend increases have sparked controversy because of large increases in various positions, such as the 75 percent increase for the SSFC vice chair.

Academic Affairs Committee Chair Jonah Zinn said he feels the stipend increases are unnecessary, especially with the current economic recession.

""It seems ridiculous that we are giving ourselves these massive increases, and I think it's unreasonable,"" he said.

Representative Colin Ingram said at the Student Council meeting Wednesday that he also does not see a good reason for the increases.

""I haven't heard very good justifications for these increases,"" he said.

Templeton said he believes the staff members are not paid equitably for the work they perform.

""We are not trying to be overpaid,"" he said. ""I see this job as being a public service and a representative.""