UW System trying to revitalize four-year graduation contracts

Some UW System schools are attempting to revitalize voluntary contacts for freshmen that guarantee graduation in four years and offer academic programs to help students graduate on time. 

The contractual agreement between the student and the university is part of a systemwide program called the Four Year Graduation Agreement. Joan Thomas, dean of students at UW-Stout, said the program is a way for the university to guarantee support for students who stick to a strict, four-year academic schedule.  

The program does not appear to be very well known among students or faculty in the system. Thomas said 41 freshmen signed the contract at UW-Stout last year, even though every student was told about the program during their first advising session. John Lucas, senior university relations specialist at UW-Madison, had never heard of the program.  

""I don't know anything about these contracts and whether that's something that we've had here or not,"" he said.  

Thomas said if a required class is not available, or if a suitable alternative cannot be found within the four-year timeline, then the school will pay for the required credit. According to the UW-Madison provost website, UW-Madison also promises to pay tuition under similar conditions.  

""Essentially it commits the institution to making sure that the courses will be available in a way that students will be able to enroll as full-time students in four years and complete a degree,"" Thomas said.  

At UW-Madison and UW-Stout the agreements are not applicable for every major. Students enrolled in a five-year plan, such as a teacher certification program, are not eligible to sign an agreement.  

Any UW-Madison freshman interested in signing a contract can send an e-mail to provost@provost.wisc.edu with ""Four Year Graduation Agreement"" in the subject line.