Wisconsin holds off New Hampshire

The Wisconsin women's hockey team swept No. 3 New Hampshire this weekend in Fort Myers, Fla., marking the first time the Badgers have beaten the Wildcats.  

No. 1 Wisconsin dominated all facets of the game Friday and won 8-2. Three different Badgers scored two goals each and senior goalie Jessie Vetter had 12 saves to help the Badgers come out on top.  

New Hampshire's Sam Faber scored a minute and a half into the game to put the Wildcats in the lead. Wisconsin's Erika Lawler answered on a power play almost four minutes later to even the score. The Wildcats regained the lead once again with their own power-play goal by Kelly Cahill. Meghan Duggan and Angie Keseley answered and Wisconsin was up 3-2 by the end of the first period.  

The rest of the game was all Wisconsin. Freshman Carolyne Prevost scored back-to-back goals for the Badgers and Duggan scored her second goal to put Wisconsin up 5-2 at the end of the second period.  

Wisconsin had a 7-1 shot advantage in the third period, when sophomore Hilary Knight and Keseley both scored. Overall, the Badgers led 28-14 in shots.  

The Wildcats came out strong on Saturday and held the Badgers in check for a scoreless first period. Ten minutes into the second period Lawler scored her first goal of the game to put the Badgers up by one. Knight scored her 18th goal of the season in the third period, and the Badgers won the game 2-0.  

Vetter had 18 saves during the game and recorded her 31st career shutout with the win. She now holds the NCAA record for most career shutouts. Ironically, Vetter broke the record of 30 career shutouts held by former New Hampshire goalie Melissa Bourdon.  

Head coach Mark Johnson, along with some UW players, finished up the weekend with a kids clinic at the Fort Myers Skatium. The Badgers' next game is at the Kohl Center this Friday against Minnesota State. 

- uwbadgers.com contributed to this report