Can Wisconsin cut the Gophers down to size?
Wisconsin V. Minnesota Men's Football October 14, 2006 Camp Randall, Madison, WI

Continuing the longest-standing rivalry in Division I college football, the Wisconsin football team will wrap up its conference schedule this weekend at home against Minnesota in the battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe. 

The Badgers hope to keep the Axe in Madison for a fifth straight year - they have not lost to the Golden Gophers since 2003. But for the first time since that season, Minnesota (3-3 Big Ten, 7-3 overall) enters the game with a better record than Wisconsin (2-5 Big Ten, 5-5 overall). 

Following a 35-point win at Indiana last weekend in which it regained some Wisconsin-style toughness and swagger, the team will try to somewhat salvage a disappointing season by capturing a victory. 

I know we're confident on defense, and offense, too,"" sophomore safety Jay Valai said. ""So we should be ready to go."" 

Senior linebacker Jonathan Casillas also has reason to believe his defense will play well based on recent performance. 

""We've made a lot of mistakes, but I think we've learned from them,"" Casillas said. ""I think you could see that during the Indiana game, and the Michigan State game, too."" 

But regardless of recent play, Wisconsin players will be fired up to get the chance to play against the Gophers. 

""That's what you play college football for when you go to Wisconsin. You got to play for the Axe,"" Casillas said. 

Last season, Minnesota finished the season 1-10 overall and winless in the Big Ten. This season, the Gophers have experienced a respectable turnaround, and it starts at the quarterback position with sophomore Adam Weber. 

""[Minnesota's] way better than last year, and that's because of him,"" Casillas said. 

Weber has morphed from a mistake-prone freshman into a smart game manager. Last season, he threw 24 touchdowns, but he was also intercepted 19 times. This season, Weber has thrown 11 touchdowns but has been picked off only five times. 

Weber is now one of the better quarterbacks in the conference. His 65.1 completion percentage is first in the Big Ten, and his 2,256 yards rank second. 

Fortunately for the Badgers, Weber's primary target, junior Eric Decker, will not play Saturday, according to head coach Tim Brewster. 

Decker's absence could be devastating for the Gophers. The receiver is first in the Big Ten and sixth in the country with 74 receptions. Decker has also accumulated 892 receiving yards and six touchdowns this season, both second in the conference. 

But regardless of who plays, Casillas said he knows Minnesota will be ready to compete Saturday, and it could be a tight game regardless of each team's prior performances this season. 

""Whenever you play Minnesota you have to throw away the records,"" he said. ""They're going to come out swinging no matter how good or bad they're doing throughout the year."" 

If the game is close, home-field advantage may tip the scales, as Wisconsin has shown recent dominance at home over the Gophers. The Badgers have not lost to Minnesota in Wisconsin since 1994. Since then, Wisconsin is 6-0 in the rivalry game at home and has beaten Minnesota by an average of 22.5 points.