Men's soccer ready for midweek clash with Eagles

Scott Lorenz: Junior forward Scott Lorenz has been a catylist for the Wisconsin offense this season, leading the team in goals, points and shots.

The Wisconsin men's soccer team returns to action Wednesday after an inspiring second half against one of the nation's top teams, Northwestern. Although the Badgers fell to the Wildcats, they continue to show that they can compete with some of the best talent in the nation. 

Wisconsin (5-5-2) will head to Valley Fields in Milwaukee to face Marquette (2-5-4), which has been struggling to score all year - a recent problem for Wisconsin too. The Golden Eagles have just managed four goals in their last 10 games and only have one victory since the beginning of September.  

Marquette relies heavily on defense to stay in games. The Eagles enter the match tomorrow only allowing one goal per contest. The Badgers will need to rely on their recent offensive burst to get on top of the Golden Eagles early. 

After giving up back-to-back goals near the end of the first half last Sunday against Northwestern, the Badgers came out and played a strong second half against perhaps the best team in the Big Ten. Outshooting the Wildcats 8-7 in the second half, Wisconsin was able to contain Northwestern's powerful offense, and was close to tying the game up on several occasions. It was possibly the best the Badgers have played all year, and if they play with the same intensity Wednesday, shutting down Marquette's ineffective attack will be much easier. 

Wednesday will be the 48th time Wisconsin takes on Marquette, with the Badgers leading the series 25-12-10. The Golden Eagles haven't beaten the Badgers since 2002, and last year's match-up in Madison ended in a 1-1 tie. Although Wisconsin has dominated lately, the players still feel the rivalry is strong. 

We take all the in-state games as big rivalries, they're more statement games than anything. To claim the state is a good honor at the end of the season '¦ we're looking forward to it, I think the team's ready,"" junior forward Scott Lorenz said. 

Recently, the Badgers have been propelled by the play of Lorenz. He has been on a hot streak lately, scoring two goals against UW-Milwaukee and the lone goal against Northwestern. Leading the team in goals, points, shots on goal and shots, Lorenz has emerged as the catalyst for the Badger offense. 

Coach Jeff Rohrman understands the game is a rivalry, but also feels the team needs to come out against Marquette as they do in any game. 

""I think the guys should feel confident that we have done well against Marquette, and as I said to them, it's not just going to happen, we need to make it happen."" 

With the energy and patience the Badgers have been playing with lately, they head into the game with a good chance to continue their unbeaten streak against Marquette.