University names new diversity leader

Damon Williams: Damon Williams was named the next UW-Madison vice provost for diversity and climate and will replace recently retired Bernice Durand.

University names new diversity leader

UW-Madison announced two new vice provosts Wednesday.  

Damon Williams, a current assistant vice provost at the University of Connecticut-Storrs, will become UW-Madison vice provost for diversity and climate on Aug. 1.  

The position will require Williams to work with campus administration and student leaders to promote the recruitment and retention of minority faculty, staff and students, as well as help students prepare for diversity challenges after graduation.  

Williams was the first of three candidates to visit campus during the fall semester, and previously said he was not looking to replicate"" current diversity initiatives. 

Provost Patrick Farrell said in a statement he believes in Williams' ability to provide inclusive leadership for ongoing efforts to build a diverse and welcoming campus. 

""We are very pleased to have Damon Williams assume this important leadership role on campus,"" Farrell said. ""He possesses incredible energy and has a strong vision for this position."" 

UW-Madison history professor Steve Stern will become the vice provost for faculty and staff July 1. 

In addition to his teaching, Stern has served as director of the Latin American and Iberian Studies program and chair of the history department. Stern said he was humbled by the announcement that will have him doing a lot of brainstorming over the next year. 

""I'm excited to have a chance to help in growing our next generation of young people,"" Stern said. ""Wisconsin is an exciting place to work, and I'm convinced that it is going to be a great journey.\