Defense, rebounding key to Badgers' success

Recent Wisconsin basketball teams are not known for winning in a glamorous fashion. But Thursday night's 62-49 victory over the Indiana Hoosiers was just another example of how tough defense and solid rebounding often lead to Wisconsin's success. 

The Hoosiers entered the contest averaging 78.6 points per game, tops in the Big Ten. But instead of allowing Indiana to set the tone for the game's pace, Wisconsin played to its own defensive strengths, and limited Indiana to its lowest point total all season.  

The Badgers came out with stifling defense, and as a result Indiana shot just 8-for-26 in the first half for 20 points. 

Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan felt that the defensive adjustments the Badgers made from their previous loss to Purdue were crucial for pulling out the victory. 

We were better on the pass than we were in our last game as far as following the rules,"" Ryan said. ""Sometimes the way the game is being played, it might be a little tougher against some teams than others in following our rules. But I thought our guys stayed true to our task - the help and the recovery in our rotations were much better."" 

Indiana's two stars still had big nights offensively. Senior forward DJ White had 22 points and 17 rebounds while freshman guard and Big Ten leading scorer Eric Gordon finished with 16 points, four rebounds and four assists.  

Gordon shot just two for seven in the first half due to Wisconsin senior guard Michael Flowers' tight defense.  

However, the Indiana star would not be denied despite battling a severe wrist injury.  

With the Badgers opening up their largest lead of the game at 46-26 about midway through the second half, Gordon rattled off the game's next 10 points to cut the deficit in half.  

However, it was Wisconsin's aggressiveness on the boards that would prove to be the difference in the game. Ryan praised the Badgers for their composure in the game's final minutes. 

""I thought our guys worked the clock extremely well in the last five minutes and that was a result of us being aggressive - getting an offensive rebound, forcing them to foul,"" Ryan said. ""When you have a lead, nothing hurts another team more than when they have an opportunity to get a rebound on the defensive end and go to the other end to score and they don't get it."" 

Wisconsin's 15 offensive rebounds translated into 21 second-chance points. This effort was anchored by the outstanding play of junior forward Joe Krabbenhoft who finished the game with 12 rebounds (six offensively) and five assists, while leading the team in both categories.  

Opposing Big Ten coaches are also beginning to take notice of Krabbenhoft's effort and high level of play. Indiana head coach Kelvin Sampson had high praise for Krabbenhoft's effort from start to finish. 

The Badgers will try to carry their aggressiveness on the road this Sunday when they travel to Minnesota to take on the Golden Gophers. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. at Williams Arena and will be televised on the Big Ten Network.