MPD reports a flipped car following annual Mifflin Street Block Party

The annual Mifflin Block Party ended with one flipped car, eighty arrests and eleven hospitalizations.

The Annual Mifflin Street Block Party marked its latest celebration with a mix of celebration and controversy. With an estimated attendance of 10,000 people, incidents involving vehicle damage and numerous arrests occurred, prompting varying reactions from the community. 

The Mifflin Street Block Party, referred to as “Mifflin” by students, is held annually on the last Saturday of April. The event is not sanctioned by the University of Wisconsin-Madison or MPD and has a history of property damage, noise complaints and incident reports

Madison Police Department (MPD) Central District Captain Michael Hanson called for a safe and fun annual Mifflin Street Block Party in a press conference Thursday. 

“Be safe, and if you see something and need to get a hold of police we will all be there working it, just reach out to somebody and we can definitely help,” Hanson said at the press conference.

Hanson previously told The Daily Cardinal there will be no significant changes this year compared to past Mifflin parties, despite calling for an end to Mifflin ahead of last year’s party. 

Hanson said MPD has no intention to end the annual event as “there is momentum to build the Mifflin event into something better.”

MPD implemented the “Madison Method,” a strategic control plan that included drones to scan the crowds and the same enforcement posture and footprint as last year, such as early crowd engagement and on-call police, according to Hanson.

Following previous years’ balcony collapse and arrests, more than 150 units were deployed to work the event, including members of the department’s Special Events Team that received additional training in crowd control, according to the City of Madison

MPD reported this year’s Mifflin was the largest year for the annual block party since the pandemic with partygoers shutting down the 400 and 500 blocks of Mifflin Street. More than 80 arrests were made pertaining to minor alcohol related offenses as of 6:24 p.m. Saturday. 

Six people were booked into the Dane County Jail, according to the report. Final numbers will be released later this week.

Two EMTs and two ambulances responded to 14 medical emergencies. Eleven people were admitted to nearby hospitals, according to WMTV 15.

MPD responds to emergencies

At 2:35 p.m., Madison Fire Department responded to a house on Mifflin Street after a report of a partial balcony break. No injuries were reported and the property was blocked off for safety. 

MPD cleared the backyards of homes along the 500 block of Mifflin after UW-Madison student Reigna Jackson’s car was flipped and another was damaged nearby. 

Mifflin_Block_Party_2024-29.jpg

Police stand next a red car overturned by Mifflin Block Party goers on April 27, 2024.

Jackson posted a GoFundMe early Sunday morning and said UWPD and MPD failed to provide enough protection to prevent the damage to her vehicle. 

“I am overwhelmed by a mix of emotions, and the lack of support here at Madison is infuriating,” Jackson said in her post. 

Over $6,000 was raised as of Monday, exceeding Jackson’s goal of $5,000.

One MPD officer was struck and sustained minor injuries by a vehicle while working a traffic post. The driver involved was not cited, according to MPD’s report.

Other minor incidents, including a deck failure and downed power line, resulted in no injured partygoers. 

Positive feedback from students

Residents of Mifflin and attendees reported positive experiences with the crowds and police presence. 

UW-Madison sophomore and Mifflin resident Carson Blang told the Cardinal it was “great hanging out,” and the people in his home “were respectful of our stuff.”

Blang believes the police did a good job keeping partygoers safe this year. 

“They were hanging out around our property and just watching for glass and dangerous activities,” Blang said. “I think they were helpful in keeping people in check as there was no damage near us from what I know.”

And UW-Madison junior Ella Oberlander said her Mifflin was great, and she saw no one destroying property. 

“I went to a friend’s house on Mifflin, and everyone there was being super respectful inside and outside of the house,” Oberlander said. “I loved the energy and the atmosphere everyone had. Definitely a 10 out of 10 experience.”

UW-Madison junior and Mifflin resident Noah Kleitsch said he had an “interesting” experience. 

“Although two windows were broken, and even though my backyard is flooded with litter, it was worth celebrating this event with all my close friends and making great memories that will last,” Kleitsch said.