Four high school seniors commit to UW basketball program

Men's head basketball coach Bo Ryan announced yesterday that Wisconsin had received letters of intent to play basketball for the Badgers from four high school seniors: Jared Berggren, Ian Markolf, Jordan Taylor and Robert Wilson. 

Jared Berggren is a 6'10', 235-pound forward/center from Princeton, Minn. Berggren averaged 21 points and 12 rebounds per game as a junior. He was named honorable mention All-State and first team All-Conference last year. And Minnesota Basketball News selected Berggren as a first-team All-State Class AAA last year.  

Jared's potential is limitless,"" Ryan said. 

Ian Markolf, a 7'1', 265-pound center from San Antonio, Texas was recently named preseason first team All-State by Texas Basketball Magazine. Markolf averaged 13 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 3.3 blocks per game as a junior for Churchill High School.  

""He has a tremendous amount of talent'¦ He is only touching the tip of the iceberg in terms of the type of player he can be in the future,"" Ryan said. ""Physically he is advanced for his age with extraordinary size and strength."" 

Jordan Taylor, a 6'1', 185-pound guard from St. Louis Park, Minn., was a second team All-State selection by the Associated Press as a junior. Taylor averaged 19.5 points, 6.2 assists, and 5.5 rebounds last year and was named the North Suburban Conference MVP. He was also selected to the Class AAA All-Tournament team.  

""Jordan is an extremely sharp young man who understands the game and how to play his position,"" Ryan said. 

Robert Wilson is a 6'4', 185-pound guard/forward from Garfield Heights, Ohio. He averaged 17 points and 6.5 rebounds per game as a junior, earning him All-Conference honors.  

""Rob brings a very good feel for the game, court sense, and athleticism to our program,"" Ryan said. ""It has been great to see him blossom into one of the nation's better players.""