Badgers find place in NHL, along with early success

Badgers find place in NHL, along with early success: Former Wisconsin goaltender Brian Elliott looks like he will someday be blocking the net for the Ottawa Senators.

Former Badger Jake Dowell made his NHL debut Thanksgiving night. The former assistant captain burst onto the professional scene, scoring a short-handed goal against the Calgary Flames. Dowell's Chicago Blackhawks went on to win the game 2-1, thanks in large part to Dowell's early heroics.  

But Dowell is not the only former Badger to find success at the next level, as a total of 60 former Badgers have skated for professional teams. Fifteen former Badgers have played in the NHL so far this year, and last year 18 took to the ice. 

Many of these athletes have made the jump over the last two seasons. Here's how they have fared after skating out of the nest.  

Joe Pavelski 

Center  

San Jose Sharks 

After winning a national championship at Wisconsin during the 2005-'06 season, Pavelski moved on to the big show. He enjoyed some success in his rookie season, skating in 46 games and tallying 14 goals and 14 assists. In '07, Pavelski has played in all 22 games for the Sharks (11-8-3).  

Despite being picked as one of the top teams in the league this year, the Sharks have had a tough time finding their rhythm, both offensively and defensively. But with about three-fourths of the season left to play, expect Pavelski and the Sharks to be around at the end of the year.  

Brian Elliott 

Goaltender 

Ottawa Senators 

Brian Elliott wrote his name atop the record books at Wisconsin, and quickly brought his collegiate success to the professional level. Elliott has already made his NHL debut this season, earning the win in a 3-1 game against the Atlanta Thrashers Oct. 10th. Minding the net for the Ottawa Senators (16-5-1), Elliott stopped 28 shots in the victory.  

The Senators already boast one of the top lines in the NHL, but they have definitely found their future goalie in Elliott. Since his win, Elliott has been sent down to the Senators' AHL affiliate the Binghamton Senators, where he has continued to develop his game.  

Joe Piskula 

Defenseman 

Los Angeles Kings 

Piskula was the first Badger to sign a professional contract last year, and joined the Kings in late March of this year. He played in five games over the rest of the season but has yet to register his first NHL goal.  

This season, Piskula has been with the Manchester Monarchs, the Kings' developmental team. In 16 games, Piskula has yet to score for the Monarchs, but being the defenseman that many Badger fans remember, scoring was never in Pisklua's repertoire. His main strengths - solid defense and passing - don't show up in the stat books.  

Tom Gilbert 

Defenseman 

Edmonton Oilers 

During the 2006 season, Gilbert played in a total of 12 games for the Oilers, registering one goal and five assists. However, this season has been a different story, as he has played in all 24 contests. His seven points (three goals, four assists), are good enough for eighth on the team.  

Gilbert was always known as an offensive-minded defenseman and would have fit in well with this year's Badger squad. It seems Gilbert is doing fine on his own, though, and could help turn around the Oilers' 10-13-1 record.  

Adam Burish 

Right Wing 

Chicago Blackhawks 

Burish is one of many Badgers under contract with the Blackhawks. Burish and Dowell, along with former Badger Rene Bourque, have all donned the Chicago jersey this season.  

At UW, Burish was the final piece in the 2006 championship puzzle, as Wisconsin looked for a solid player to pair along with Pavelski and Robbie Earl. Burish became that third player, and the rest was history.  

Over two seasons with the Blackhawks, Burish has played in 32 games, including all 23 so far this season. He has yet to score his first goal, but with Bourque potentially out with an injury, the door is open for Burish to take the next step.  

Robbie Earl 

Left Wing 

Toronto Maple Leafs 

Earl left the Badgers after his junior season, having nothing else to prove after winning a national championship. He signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs, and has spent the last two seasons with its AHL affiliate, the Toronto Marlies.  

During the 2006-'07 season, Earl played in 67 games, registering 30 points (12,18). This season, Earl is off to a quick start, with five goals and six assists after only 18 games. His 11 points are good enough for a seventh-place tie on the team.  

While Earl hasn't had the same amount of success after leaving Wisconsin as he had while wearing the cardinal and white, he has made some impressive strides. If he plays his cards right, he could make his NHL debut sometime this season.