Fit to be un-tied: Men's soccer looks for win after two draws

Erik Ortega: Erik Ortega and the Badgers return for only their second home game in September.

The Wisconsin men's soccer team (0-0-1 Big Ten, 4-2-2 overall) will look to gain momentum Wednesday as it takes on the Huskies of Northern Illinois (2-3-3) in its final matchup before settling into the heart of the Big Ten season. 

Due to Tuesday's inclement weather, the Badgers shifted their practice from outdoors to inside the McClain Center. Badger forwards will go from dodging raindrops to dodging a Husky defense that gave up four goals in just two games of the NIU-Adidas/Baymont Inn Invitational in Oregon earlier this month. 

Wisconsin will look to stop senior forward Marcus McCarthy and senior defender-midfielder Chris Rufa. Despite a sub-.500 record, McCarthy and Rufa have taken the lead of a youthful Husky squad, scoring four of the team's eight goals this season. Rufa in particular is a force to watch, a versatile defender who still poses as a scoring threat. In 2006, Rufa was named to the All-MAC First Team and the MAC All-Tournament Team. 

Badger junior forward Victor Diaz and sophomore forward Brian Bultman continue to lead the attack for the Badgers, with six of the team's eight goals this year. Sophomore goalie Alex Horwath holds a .839 save percentage and will look to continue this trend against a Husky offense struggling to find consistency. 

It has been an eventful non-conference schedule for both Northern Illinois and Wisconsin. Since mid-August the Huskies have participated in four overtime contests - three of which went to double overtime. And the Huskies and Badgers have combined for five games ending in a tie, including the Badgers' last two contests against UW-Green Bay and highly touted Michigan. Wisconsin held Michigan to only two goals, tarnishing the Wolverines' then-perfect record. 

Horwath commented on the game with Michigan, stating, A couple calls didn't go our way. Bad bounces, bad clears.""  

Horwath also noted that the team could not handle too many more ties if it wanted to participate in postseason action, but he remained optimistic about the upcoming contest with the Huskies. 

Diaz also talked about the contest with the Wolverines.  

""The two goals they scored were on set pieces,"" he remarked, noting the importance of corner and free kicks in close games.  

Diaz remained confident about the state of the team. 

""When you tie against Michigan, who had a perfect record ... you're not going to regret [it],"" he said, adding he is looking forward to the contest with the Huskies.  

The Badgers may or may not be anxious after two straight ties, but they can calm the storm against a Husky team that suffered its most recent loss to the Bulldogs of Gonzaga - a team the Badgers defeated earlier this season, 1-0. Kickoff is at 6 p.m. at the McClimon Soccer Complex.