Wilco’s ‘Sky’ worth looking up

When a new album debuts for the majority of today's bands, audiences can only expect to hear a slight variation from their past projects. Wilco is the exception to this standard. Sky Blue Sky, the latest album from this Chicago-based alt-country band, continues to challenge Wilco fans with new approaches to musical greatness.  

At first listen to Sky Blue Sky, fans may be disappointed the band has not put out another Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The truth is that Sky Blue Sky is exceptional in that it does not try to hit Wilco fans over the head with why they are good. Instead, Sky Blue Sky requires fans to really make an effort and learn how to listen to the music on this album. Mellower than past projects, Sky Blue Sky takes a step away from the more manufactured sound that was heard on Wilco's past two albums.  

In the past, working on an album would generally entail the band coming together after front-man Jeff Tweedy had worked out most of the tracks. Sky Blue Sky is different in that it involves more collaboration than ever before. This project has allowed the band to truly show off their strengths as musicians because it does not focus its efforts on attempting to be innovative, but instead is centered on the music.  

The more organic sound of this album allows for Wilco fans to appreciate the incredible talent of the band members. The track, ""Impossibly Germany,"" showcases guitarist Nels Cline. Reminiscent of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot's ""Jesus, Etc.,"" this song will easily be the most popular track. However, it is truly difficult to gauge the depths at which this album will reach audiences. Sky Blue Sky features a softer sound than past albums. Also characteristic to this album are its comprehensible lyrics. Past Wilco albums have made great efforts to be unique, and many of their lyrics were difficult to understand or else out of the ordinary when compared to most of today's popular music. Sky Blue Sky is different in that it strives for normalcy. This is not to say Wilco has produced a bland or even average album. In fact, it is quite the opposite; Sky Blue Sky continues to provide Wilco fans with a unique sound by neglecting to meet expectations and to challenge listeners to learn to appreciate all that this band is capable of.  

Sky Blue Sky is officially released May 15 and is the first studio record to include all the members of Wilco's touring band as heard on Kicking Television, featuring Jeff Tweedy (guitar, vocals), Nels Cline (guitar), John Stirratt (bass, vocals), Glenn Kotche (drums), Mikael Jorgensen (keyboards) and Pat Sansone (multi-instrumentalist).