Ryan scores: salary shoots to $1.25 mil

The UW System Board of Regents approved a $250,000 salary increase for men's basketball coach Bo Ryan at a meeting Friday, making his total projected salary for next year $1.25 million. 

""He's done a tremendous job with the basketball program and we want to send the message that we appreciate him and want him to be our coach for a long, long time,"" Deputy Athletic Director Vince Sweeney said of Ryan. 

According to Sweeney, discussion regarding a salary adjustment had been in the works since February. Sweeney said he is impressed with Ryan and the achievements that have been made with the UW men's basketball team. 

Ryan's base pay of $400,000 will remain the same, while his earnings from sports-related program revenue will rise to $550,000, according to a statement issued by the university Friday. Additionally, this amount is set to increase by $25,000 annually until the 2010-2011 season.  

The salary boost comes on the heels of a successful 30-6 season for the UW men's basketball team. Ryan guided the Badgers to achieve a No.1 national ranking and breaking a school record with 30 victories. In addition, Ryan was named the Clair Bee Coach of the Year and Rupp Cup National Coach of the Year for 2007.  

""Bo has not just achieved success, he has found ways to sustain it and build on it. Beyond that, he's found ways to transfer his values, his high standards and his work ethic to players,"" Athletic Director Barry Alvarez said in the release. ""We wanted to be proactive and began talking with Bo about a contract amendment well before the season was finished."" 

In the press release Chancellor John Wiley stressed the strength of Ryan's leadership and spoke of the resulting respect the program has earned. He also expressed admiration for the personal level of devotion that coach Ryan embodies. 

""He is dedicated to providing consistent excellence, on and off the court. This contract change recognizes those efforts,"" Wiley said.