UW could benefit from Doyle’s budget, if approved

Some proposals Gov. Jim Doyle made at Tuesday's budget address were made to benefit the UW system, but they may be dead upon arrival as the budget still awaits approval from a Republican-controlled state Assembly.  

In particular, Doyle proposed domestic partnership benefits in addition to a $20 million Growth Agenda for the UW System.  

Mike Mikelson, spokesperson for state Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said the chances of Doyle's proposed budget passing were ""slim to none,"" since it includes a myriad of fee increases to pay for new programs that Republicans will inevitably oppose. 

Mikelson said Republicans also disapprove of domestic partner benefits because of the cost and a ""loud and clear"" message of opposition from taxpayers with their approval of an amendment banning gay marriage. 

""It's not just an issue with domestic partnerships for same-sex couples, [the proposal] covers domestic partnerships for heterosexual couples as well,"" Mikelson said. 

However, supporters say domestic partner benefits would help UW-Madison because it is the only Big Ten University that does not offer such benefits. 

David Giroux, executive director of communications for the UW System, said if these benefits are not offered, it could lead prominent professors and researchers to leave UW-Madison, taking their graduate students and millions of dollars in grant money with them. 

""The question is, do we want to be somebody else's farm team, or do we want to keep the best talent here in our labs and universities?"" he said. 

The other new measure promoted by the governor, a $20 million dollar Growth Agenda, would try to improve the Wisconsin economy by broadening access to a college education. 

According to Giroux, it would also reduce the strain on UW-Madison by increasing the number of seats at other Wisconsin universities. 

Mikelson was critical of the measure, saying that the additional fees taxpayers would pay, such as an increase of the registration fee for applying to UW schools, are not worth the cost. 

""That's a tax not only on students who get in, but students who get denied as well,"" he said. 

State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, disagreed. He said that Doyle's budget is one of the best efforts to properly fund UW-Madison, which he called, ""Wisconsin's biggest asset."" 

He said the new funds are vital for preparing residents for high-paying ""knowledge-based"" jobs of the future and for improving the Wisconsin economy. 

""You have to invest in your assets to get a return, that's economics 101,"" Black said. 

It will be weeks before the review committees get through the Governor's 1,800-page budget proposal, and Mikelson said that after the review is complete, these measures will come under consideration.