Freedom From Religion group separates church and state

Many statistics state that around three-quarters of U.S. citizens consider themselves Christian, but there are multitudes of religious groups present throughout the country. Many of these groups have affiliated sub-sects.  

Some people even regard each individual's faith as a religion in itself because faith is such a personal matter. With all of these different ideas and faiths spanning the country, it is vital that each receives the respect it deserves and is not subjected to government policies that favor one religion over another. 

For the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc. there is nothing more essential than ensuring the government maintains separation of church and state.  

When political matters are stripped down to the basic issues, FFRF cites the First Amendment as reason enough to exclude religious bias in decision-making processes because the amendment states that freedom of religion shall be upheld. FFRF's role in politics is relevant because it is an interest group that challenges questionable decisions made by the Bush Administration and lawmakers in this country. 

In 2004, through FFRF, Dan Barker, Annie Laurie Gaylor, and Anne Nicol Gaylor filed a lawsuit (officially called Hein v. Freedom From Religion Foundation) against the government for showing preference for religion as seen through the implementation of the White House Office of Faith-based Initiatives. Even though the high court accepted the Bush Administration's opposition to the plaintiffs' claims, on Feb. 28 the U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments from both sides.  

Although FFRF, throughout its history as an organization, has served to take legal action against government violations pertaining to religion (they stopped the direct subsidy to religious schools among other accomplishments), its overall mission statement is something that every United States citizen should consider and advocate.  

Recent developments in Wisconsin politics have emphasized the need for FFRF. On Nov. 7, 2006, the Gay Marriage Ban was approved, infringing not only on same-sex marriages, but also most relationship scenarios that do not fit into the realm of marriage normalcy, such as civil unions and domestic partnerships. FFRF was strongly against these actions and for good reason. 

The citizens of the United States should begin to worry when a trend develops wherein the government oversteps boundaries and violates the basic principles of freedom and equality upon which the country was built.  

When the government begins to increase its statements and assert its stances against anything that does not conform to the Christian view of what should be acceptable, there is cause for concern.  

Part of what makes the United States both an oddity and wonder is that it is comprised of people who have different cultural, religious and political backgrounds.  

There are organizations representing everything from alcoholics to women who enjoy knitting. For example, on any given day, there are events for people of Irish descent or people who enjoy ""Star Wars."" With all of the variety present in everyday life, it is absolutely necessary to set a political tone wherein there is acceptance and respect rather than conformity.  

When looking at the current political atmosphere, it is not much of a strain to picture what detrimental consequences may come with a government that does not permit its citizens to obtain all the rights they are guaranteed in the amendments of the U.S. Constitution.  

A country with supreme and uncontestable government control is a terrifying design that hopefully FFRF will help U.S. citizens avoid.