Doyle calls on cities to provide gay benefits

Gov. Jim Doyle said Tuesday he supports a plan permitting Madison and other cities to offer more domestic partner benefits to employees and same-sex partners. 

In a letter to Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, Doyle said he would support a change in state law so domestic partners of state and city employees could access the program as well.  

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he is ""very encouraged"" by Doyle's statement, but said he knows more action is required. 

""I am encouraged and excited about the governor's pledge, but also realize that it is on the other hand sobering to know that the Republicans do control the state Assembly,"" Verveer said.  

""There are many Republican members of the state Assembly who I'm sure would very much participate in trying to block this progressive change,"" he added. 

Doyle announced in his budget address he would provide funding to cover the domestic partners of all state employees. 

""I wish that Gov. Doyle had the power through an executive order ... to change this today, but as the statement indicates, it unfortunately requires a change in state law,"" Verveer said.  

The government would need to amend the state Constitution to clearly allow for domestic partnership health benefits. 

At this point, Madison says providing more domestic partner benefits would cost taxpayers more and give employees fewer health-care choices. 

UW-Madison is currently the only university in the Big Ten that does not offer domestic partner benefits.