Union South to house Halloween alternative

UW-Madison is reversing its policy for the Wisconsin Union this Halloween by offering students an alternative to State Street at Union South. 

Last year, the Unions were not allowed to hold programs the weekend of Halloween because officials were concerned it would draw people to State Street. This year, student organizations can reserve rooms at Union South for Oct. 28 and host events for UW-Madison students who don't want to celebrate Halloween on State Street. Memorial Union is still closed to official programming Oct. 28. 

Dawn Crim, assistant director for community relations and Halloween spokesperson for the Chancellor's office, said the Wisconsin Union Directorate saw a demand from groups wishing to hold alternative events for Halloween and came up with this idea. 

We felt like the Unions are a place that we would like the students to have available for their use,"" Crim said. ""And we wanted to move any event away from the State Street corridor."" 

Union South is once again sponsoring events in its Games Room. Bob Wright, senior student services specialist who directs both Unions' games rooms, hopes to attract students with the event's slogan ""Why pay $5 to get pepper sprayed on State Street?"" when students can spend the same amount and enjoy unlimited access to pool, bowling and popcorn.  

John Lucas, University Communications spokesperson, said alternative events haven't been possible in the past because enough people were not able to work them. 

""We haven't had the staff or the security available to staff as '""many alternative '""events as students have been interested in,"" Lucas said. ""Not everybody wants to be down there [on State Street], so what they've done is turn Union South into the hub of all that activity."" 

Student organizations have to apply to reserve rooms through UW-Madison's Central Reservations. Kristina Mueller, WUD vice president of internal relations, said some groups might have trouble applying for rooms if they plan to have more than 50 students attend, since they will need staff to supervise events.  

The event will be open only to UW-Madison students, faculty and staff, and alcohol service will cease at 9 p.m., according to a University Communications release.