Small business boom may follow Overture completion

The recent completion of the Overture Center, 201 State St., and the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, 211 State St., promises to provide a favorable impact on local State Street businesses, city officials and business owners said.  

As construction and beautification efforts continue on the 300 and 400 blocks of State Street, the MMOCA and the Overture Center's polished architectural appearances provide a glimpse into the future of State Street. 

On April 23, the MMOCA opened its doors, and a week earlier construction on the $205 million Overture Center was completed. Together, they occupy half of the entire 200 block of State Street.  

State Street business owners expect that the openings will have a largely positive impact on sales, said Bino Christ, owner of Nick's Restaurant, 226 State St. 

Now that they just opened up the museum and art gallery, there's more going on everyday,\ Christ said. ""[It's] definitely brought more people to this part of State Street."" 

Moe Barketallah, owner of Frida's Restaurant, 117 State St., said although he has not seen any direct results due to the openings thus far, he is optimistic that it will help business as the lack of construction will decrease the loud noise. 

Among the features of the recently opened MMOCA is a rooftop garden terrace, which has a great view of the campus skyline and the State Capitol. It also includes an interactive gallery, a high-quality restaurant and a children's center. Overture Hall is a 2,200-seat auditorium designed to accommodate orchestral and opera performances.  

""Since we opened on Sunday, we've had a lot of traffic through the museum, and those people are undoubtedly visiting our neighboring businesses,"" said MMOCA Director of Public Information Katie Kazan, who sees the significant impact that openings have had on downtown Madison business.  

""Hopefully, what Overture will do is be an anchor that will help draw more people and more business and more energy into the neighborhood and continue the revitalization we've seen,"" said George Twigg, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz. ""It's something you'd expect to see in a Chicago or a New York."" 

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, also sees the Overture Center and MMOCA as assets to the Madison community. 

""MMOCA is and will be for generations to come an absolutely awesome asset to the community,"" Verveer said. ""Even if you aren't a big fan of contemporary art, you have to check out the museum because it's such an architectural masterpiece."" 

""[It's] something that will complement the great resources that UW has on campus"" Twigg said.  

\