Bar-time brawls put Majestic in hot water

Neighbors clashed at an Alcohol License Establishment Response Team meeting Monday. Meant to address disturbances around the King Street area, the meeting focused on complaints from Capitol Neighborhoods Inc. and the Madison Police Department regarding Club Majestic, 115 King St.  

Mary Schauf, central district police captain, handed out a six-page report summarizing 2005 clashes with police in the King Street area. Many of them involved theft and fighting related to Majestic. 

Schauf talked about the need for joint solutions, noting that Jim and Nick Schiavo, owners of Club Majestic, have been active in the effort to calm the area. She listed progressive steps, including the coordination of traffic signals and closing off the street to facilitate a better flow of traffic during bar time. 

Sam Fairs and David Muhammad, two Club Majestic DJs, both said they had never seen a fight inside the club. They related how most problems resulted from the security situation on the street. 

Assistant Wisconsin Attorney General Dan O'Brien cited an Oct. 1 incident when a large mob broke bottles and slammed car trunks outside the club. 

'For the first time in Madison, I felt my life was threatened,' he said. 'There was no police and no security.' 

Jim Schiavo pointed out that attempts to control the situation on the street, such as hiring Badgerland Security, had not been well received by the community. He said he was willing to 'bend over backwards' to work with the MPD. 

'I think one of the opportunities we might have ?? is to get some kind of armed security via Dane County back in place,' he said.  

In terms of added cost, Schiavo said he was willing to pay more to ensure the security of the neighborhood. 

Meanwhile, many patrons complained CNI's criticisms are too centered on hip-hop culture and are racially tinged.  

Fred Mohs, a founding member of CNI, cautioned against 'violent, scary clientele,' saying he was hopeful the owners would 'get a grip on their establishment.' 

O'Brien said Club Majestic's crowds are more of a problem than its music. 

'The problem is 438 testosterone-filled people leaving the club at 2 o'clock,' O'Brien said. 'It doesn't matter if it's heavy-metal music or hard rock.' 

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, cautioned against labeling CNI's concern as racism. He said he agreed with Schiavo on security concerns and said he hoped future provisions for private security would be implemented.  

'A security plan can be established between a liquor-license establishment, the chief of police and the ALRC,' Verveer said.