Letters to the Editor

While I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I must say I was completely shocked and taken aback by the suggestion that the tremendous acting in \667: The Number of the Neighbor of the Beast"" was weak caricatures and bad. Wow, nothing could be further from the truth.  

In fact, in all my years with Broom Street Theater, this is probably one of the most uniformly strong casts I have ever had the pleasure to work with, and I feel to belittle their incredible work in the show in this way was simply hurtful and wrong.  

The review was so off-base, I cannot help but wonder, as I read through the opening paragraph, if the student reviewer did not have a number of preconceived notions about Broom Street Theater before walking through the door. Ultimately, these preconceived notions may have caused the venomous review that ensued. Sadly, this has happened to us in the past. 

The work we do at Broom Street Theater is not for everyone, which is why I have chosen to work there for 14 years. I can take my lumps and handle negative attitudes toward my scripts. I've had to deal with this several times before and have not said a word. However, when something is so blatantly incorrect within a review, I feel compelled to respond.  

It became clear at Madison's Ped/Bike/Motor Vehicle Commission Wednesday night that many proponents of keeping parking on the square were unaware of what it would mean for Metro bus users.  

It is not simply a matter of adding convenient parking for both cars and bicycles. The current plans are for the city to use $300,000 to tear down the seven existing bus shelters, replace four of them with new ""prettier"" shelters, and replace the other three with exposed benches.  

Is this really the way taxpayers want to spend $300,000 when bus fares were just raised and service will have to be seriously cut due to lack of funds?