Young Badgers mature quickly

Saturday night's game between Wisconsin and Michigan may have only lasted three hours and 45 minutes, but in that short time, the Badgers matured into a dominant football team, the primary reason for their 23-20 victory. 

\We've matured. That's for sure,"" said Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez, who called the victory a ""program win.""  

""They're not babies anymore,"" he said. 

The maturity was established when players came through in clutch moments. Though junior quarterback John Stocco only threw for 147 yards on 15 completions, he proved he can step up when necessary when he stepped over and around Michigan defenders-scoring the final and deciding touchdown with 24 seconds left in the game. 

Even with the surprising quarterback draw call by wide receivers coach Henry Mason, Stocco said he knew he needed to get into the end zone.  

""I was a little surprised by the call, but it was a good situation to do it,"" Stocco said. ""It was unbelievable. I saw nothing but green."" 

Staying in his zone for the fourth consecutive game was junior running back Brian Calhoun, who accumulated 214 total yards-155 rushing and 59 yards on seven receptions. Michigan's defense was the fastest Calhoun said he has seen this year, and he said he learned how to earn each yard. 

""I earned every yard,"" Calhoun said. ""By the end of the game, I was a little tired, but I think it was evident [Michigan's defense] was a little bit tired."" 

Also maturing was the Badger defense. Though only on the field for nine minutes and 25 seconds during the second quarter, the Badgers did not allow Michigan to convert one third-down attempt in the final two quarters. The only Michigan score in the second half was a 49-yard flea flicker quarterback Chad Henne threw to Max Manningham at 9:03 p.m. in the final quarter. Freshman cornerback Allen Langford covered Manningham. 

""I told him after, every corner gets beat,"" senior cornerback Brett Bell said. ""But that's the beauty of corner. You have to overcome adversity. We showed that we can play with anyone. We're a team to be reckoned with."" 

Proving he is a force to be dealt with was junior defensive back Johnny White. White recovered the Michigan fumble leading to a Wisconsin touchdown. He also intercepted Henne-earning the first turnover of his career. 

""He had a great week of practice and we pointed that out to him,"" Alvarez said of White. ""I'm really happy for him."" 

Alvarez said he was also ecstatic for kicker Taylor Mehlhaff, who matured into a constant force Saturday. He knocked three field goals, of 43, 35 and 27 yards, through the uprights. Before the game, Mehlhaff had made just one field goal in his career. 

""I worked my butt off and now it's starting to pay off,"" he said. ""I've got to focus on my job. No matter the situation, I have to get it done."" 

Wisdom was also confirmed with the Badgers' attitude following the game. Wisconsin allowed Michigan to accumulate 401 total yards, while picking up only 287 for themselves. They were penalized six times for 50 yards. But the team knows it has to stop its growing pains if it wants to keep its perfect record and nine-game winning streak at Camp Randall alive. 

""It was a great win, but at the same time, we have a lot of work to do,"" Stocco said. ""We need to look at the things we didn't do well."" 

But for now, Wisconsin can celebrate because, like Alvarez said, ""A win is a win. It's good for the soul. 

It's unbelievable ... pushes team to national spotlight."" 

The game was, in a word, unbelievable. At least that was what Badger athletes and coaches called the Michigan game.  

No current Badger player had beaten Michigan. Alvarez had not experienced a win over the Wolverines since 1994 and had never had prevailed victoriously over current Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr. 

The 83,022 spectators who were able to watch the game was the second-largest crowd in Camp Randall history. 

""It was unbelievable,"" Stocco said. ""The fans were so loud. It was great to do this for coach [Alvarez.] He's done nothing but good for us."" 

The win was good for Wisconsin in the polls, as the team is now ranked 17th in the Associated Press. It gave the Badgers the national respect they feel they deserve. 

""We played a team that, at the beginning [of the season] was a top three or four team,"" Alvarez said. ""This [win] puts us where we want to be."" 

Where the team wants to be is at the top of the Big Ten standings come the end of November. With Saturday's win, though only the first in conference play, the Badgers have set themselves up for a possible championship run. 

""I've always wanted to beat Michigan ... this game was the best game I've ever been a part of,"" Bell said. ""We showed that we're a team that can play with anyone. We showed our depth and character. It's unbelievable.\