Sonkin ready for 2005 season

His serves have been clocked as high as 136 miles per hour. He is ranked 80th in the NCAA preseason tennis rankings. As a freshman he led his team in victories. Now, as a sophomore, he is captain of a young squad filled with potential and, oh yeah, he is still a teenager. 

Meet Jeremy Sonkin, the face and personality of Wisconsin men's tennis. The Badgers begin their season this weekend when they travel to South Bend, Ind. for the Notre Dame Invitational. Sonkin, who compiled 16 singles victories last spring in the number two position, looks forward to a new challenge as the Badgers' top player.  

\I can't wait,"" Sonkin said. ""I'm playing at the top of my game right now.""  

New head coach Greg Van Emburgh spoke highly of his captain in a recent press conference. 

""I think he's a guy we're really going to hope to build a little tradition around,"" said Van Emburgh, who, after four years as the University of Kentucky's associate head coach, takes the helm of a Badgers team that tied for tenth in the Big Ten last season. 

Despite the Badgers' past record, Sonkin insists that 2005 tennis fans will see different results under Van Emburgh's leadership.  

""He's done an incredible job motivating the guys. He wants us out there working hard, and he makes it really, really fun. He's just been an incredible inspiration,"" Sonkin said. 

Sonkin felt particularly impressed that coach Van Emburgh had named him captain as a sophomore.  

""Going from one coach to another is usually a tough transition,"" Sonkin said. ""Right off the bat Greg showed that he believed in me. He was extremely positive."" 

Sonkin heads a diverse squad that features players from Wisconsin, Lexington, Kent and even Aruba.  

""That's what I love about our team. We come from so many different backgrounds,"" said Sonkin, who hails from Wheaton, Ill. ""Being able to bond so well is what's going to help us have our big turnaround year."" 

Sonkin welcomes the challenge of turning Wisconsin tennis into a proven power in the conference. 

""My goal for the team would be to break the top four in the Big Ten,"" he said. ""We have the strength we didn't have last year; we have the coaching. I really think we can do it this year."" 

While many sophomores would be thrilled to be ranked 80th nationally, Sonkin maintains an even keel. 

""I'm really happy with it. I knew that I had a good year last year, but I really didn't think that I would've broken the top 80."" 

Sonkin may bask in the national tennis spotlight, but he has set higher standards for himself. 

""I have very high expectations. One goal for myself this year is to break the top 30,"" said Sonkin, who looks to build on his eight conference victories from a year ago. ""I'm willing to put in the time and effort to do it.""  

Sonkin believes his superior conditioning gives him an edge over the competition. ""I go out there and grind,"" said Sonkin, who has also improved his game management skills as well. 

""I'm a much smarter player. I make my opponents beat me,"" he said. 

Inspired by the play of Patrick Rafter and possessing a power game and style that resembles Andy Roddick's, Sonkin should once again rack up the match points in Big Ten play.  

""I'm shooting for at least 9-2,"" Sonkin said. 

Such statements reveal how coach Van Emburgh's positive attitude has rubbed on his players. 

""This is going to be the breakthrough year,"" Sonkin stated. ""There's no thinking about it. It's going to happen."" 

Coming from a 19-year-old whose serves reach 136 mph, who would have the courage to disagree?