Gas, permit costs do not deter student parking

All across the nation, escalating gas prices have forced drivers to limit their driving or find alternative means of transportation.  

These prices, combined with the heavy cost of parking on campus, appear insignificant for many students when weighed against the convenience of having a car on campus.  

Joyce Suddeth of Suddeth Investments still reports a high demand for occupied parking spaces at $55 per month for tenants and $60 per month for non-tenants. 

The cost of parking does not seem to be a decisive factor for students.  

Students living in high-demand property on Langdon Street can expect to pay anywhere from $125 to $250 with J. Michael Real Estate. In fact, these spots are so valued that they were taken almost immediately. 

\It's almost 90 percent full going into the summer before the following year starts. We usually just have a couple left over before school starts and then they're all gone,"" said Jim Corcoran of J. Michael Real Estate. ""It's got that Langdon crowd that always seems to hold the demand."" 

Michael Greiber of Madison Property Management also reported fewer spots available for rent than there were last year. With 30 locations around Madison, these parking spots start at $60 per month for outdoor parking and can reach $150 for heated, underground parking in the downtown area. 

UW-Madison junior Kate Olsen parks her car in one of these locations for $120 per month. She signed her parking contract in May, before gas prices had peaked. Like many other students with cars, Olsen needs to drive off campus regularly. 

""I wasn't happy with the gas prices, but it was something I had to learn to deal with,"" Olsen said. 

UW-Madison Senior Hadley Lord, who pays $150 per month to park her car in the Embassy's parking lot, also works off campus. Recently, her concern with rising gas prices prompted her to buy a bicycle and save money on gas, which is currently approximately $2.69 per gallon on campus. This figure is expected to rise due to the shutdown of oil refineries in Hurricane Rita's path.  

City parking permits, priced at $21 per year, are another alternative to expensive parking. According to UW-Madison senior Trevor Leverson, Madison's all-day parking permits are far more convenient than Milwaukee's separate day and night passes. It also allows drivers to park their cars for longer amounts of time.  

""This parking permit is nice because you don't have to wake up at eight in the morning to move your car to avoid a ticket,"" Leverson said. ""As long as you move your car every couple days, it's perfect.""