Bringing 'Sconnie' pride to the nation

Promoting Wisconsin pride and heritage by selling merchandise with witty slogans and old-school flair, UW-Madison juniors Ben Fiechtner and Troy Vosseller have transformed a grassroots T-shirt operation into a flourishing business venture.  

As the self-proclaimed \founding fathers"" of Sconnie Nation, LLC, Vosseller, who is triple majoring in history, economics and political science, and Fiechtner, who is majoring in political science and real estate and urban land economics, had always talked about starting a business. But it was not until a ""drunken Wednesday night"" in the spring of 2004 that the pair decided to go for it. 

After discussing the venture and agreeing to pursue it, the two came up with an initial design, a solid red T-shirt with the word ""SCONNIE"" emblazoned in white across the chest.  

""We heard the word 'Sconnie' around campus,"" Fiechtner said.  

""It's like the term Coastie,"" interjected Vosseller, but related to all things Wisconsin like ""PBR, brats, cheese, cream puffs and Brett Favre.""  

After establishing their first design and each investing $300, 100 Sconnie T-shirts quickly sold out in less than a week. The idea, stemming from a drunken Wednesday night was becoming a sobering reality and a success. Vosseller and Fiechtner went to work, taking steps to ensure the viability of their business.  

""We got a trademark for Sconnie and added LLC to Sconnie Nation,"" Vosseller said. It made their business a limited liability corporation, establishing a division of personal and business assets and protecting the co-founders from any future financial difficulties.  

""[This measure] differentiates [us] from any student selling T-shirts"" Fiechtner said, ""but also means we have to pay taxes.""  

In addition, the LLC status allowed them to secure a reseller license, which was necessary in order to sell their merchandise at other outlets, including the University Bookstore. 

Vosseller and Fiechtner then launched a website, www.sconnie.com, which provides an online outlet for their merchandise. The website has resulted in the sale of merchandise to buyers all over the United States. 

""We get a lot of e-mails from alums in one part of the country and suddenly we'll get 10 orders for the same area,"" Fiechtner claimed. To date, the entrepreneurs estimate they have sold around 2,000 of their own T-shirts. 

Sconnie Nation expanded its business to serve local organizations' need for reasonably priced custom T-shirts.  

""We design everything ourselves and our buddy Mark prints them for us in his basement. That's how we keep our costs low,"" Vosseller said. Their clients include Madison East High School, the Union, NetNerds, Madhatters, the Alumni Association and various rush and bid-day shirts for the Greek system, among others. 

Between the website and word-of-mouth advertising, the ""aura and lifestyle that is Sconnie,"" as Vosseller described it, continues to gain popularity. Their diversified product line includes sweatshirts, track shorts and trucker hats, and features hip, urban designs.  

""We just came out with four or five new items,"" Fiechtner says, all of which can be found exclusively on the Sconnie Nation website. New potential products include sweatbands, sweatpants and perhaps Sconnie coozies or beanies. Fiechtner claimed that ""Sconnie beer pong balls are [also] a possibility."" 

Both Fiechtner and Vosseller agree that the biggest reward of starting their own business has been seeing others wearing their merchandise. While only friends and acquaintances owned their T-shirts at the beginning, the expansion of the business has made the products more accessible to all students and general public.  

""It's great when you see someone you don't know wearing one of your shirts,"" Fiechtner said, ""and they give you a high-five because you have one, too, but they don't know you made them.""  

Although they're not entirely sure about future plans for Sconnie Nation LLC, the co-founders have exchanged a few ideas. ""Maybe [we'll sell] our designs or, after we graduate, find another freshman like us,"" Fiechtner said. In the meantime, they will continue to operate the business themselves and, according to Vosseller, ""Sconnie on, man.\