Hockey slated for season finale at St. Cloud

The Wisconsin Women's hockey team (18-7-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 24-7-1 overall) looks to continue its winning ways as it caps off the regular season against St. Cloud State (7-16-3, 9-19-7). 

The Badgers, who travel to St. Cloud, Minn. this weekend, enter their series against the Huskies riding a six game winning streak, their longest of the year. 

\The biggest thing is that we've been consistent during practice, [and in] our attitude and our effort"" assistant coach Dan Koch said of the team's recent success. ""Our effort in every game has been consistent and strong."" 

The Huskies, on the other hand, have struggled of late, going 2-3-1 over their last six games. However, they were able take a game from No. 2 Minnesota Duluth two weeks ago. 

""St. Cloud has the power to upset a lot of teams as we just saw when they beat Duluth,"" junior goaltender Meghan Horras said. ""We've got to be careful, they can be a tough team."" 

These two teams last met in October, with the Badgers sweeping the Huskies, 7-0 and 7-1 at the Kohl Center. Sophomore forward Sara Bauer led the way with four goals and four assists, while fellow sophomore forward Lindsay Macy added three goals and five assists. Sophomore goalies Christine Dufour and Horras combined for 42 saves. 

""We were able to get a lot of offense [against the Huskies],"" Koch said. ""We know that if we drive to the net, create some opportunities and get some three-on-twos and two-on-ones, get the puck to the net for rebounds. All the goalies in this league are hard to beat one-on-one so you need to get traffic in front of the net and get the rebound."" 

While the Badgers had success in their last series against the Huskies, it was in the friendly confines of the Kohl Center where they've only had two losses all season. In this series Wisconsin will be forced to travel to St. Cloud's National Hockey Center, whose larger ice sheet is better for the Huskies' style of play. 

""They try to spread things out,"" said Koch. ""They try to get you away from the middle of the ice and then attack the middle once you've come out. You have to make sure in your 'D' zone that you protect the front of the net, you stay within the dots, you don't go outside the dots and chase people, you get in the shooting lanes and try to block shots the best you can."" 

One player to watch this weekend is freshman forward Jinelle Zaugg, whose seeing more ice time than when these teams last met. Zaugg earned consecutive WCHA Rookie of the Week honors for her performances against Minnesota State and Ohio State, and boosted her season point total to 23 with a goal and an assist last weekend against Bemidji State. 

""Finally I've been able to put the puck in the net,"" Zaugg said of her recent success. ""I'm just taking more shots than I was earlier in the season."" 

Against inexperienced St. Cloud goalies, who are giving up 3.4 goals per game, those extra shots could easily translate into points.