Gov. candidate visits UW College Republicans

Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker spoke last night to the UW-Madison College Republicans one day after announcing his bid for governor. 

In one of his first public addresses since his announcement, the College Republicans felt privileged to have him, according to UW-Madison sophomore and College Republican Erica Christienson.  

\That he would put us on a priority list like this really says that he values our efforts,"" she said.  

Walker worked in the Wisconsin State Assembly for nine years and is prominently known for freezing property taxes in Milwaukee County for three consecutive budgets. 

As county executive for a predominately Democratic county, Walker said he needed to show what a conservative could do.  

""I proposed to move forward but also to have more fun,"" he said.  

These aforementioned propositions included bidding part of the Milwaukee County Zoo property out to private contractors to build a water park or a hotel while raising money for the county. 

Three years ago, Walker said he never would have imagined himself making a run at the governor's office. However, after Gov. Jim Doyle called for a repeal of the Qualified Economic Offer law, Walker said, ""It was at that time, when I realized enough was enough."" 

According to Walker, despite the many other features Wisconsin has to offer, it will be impossible for the state to compete with other areas of the country as long as the property tax burden remains the sixth highest in the state.  

""I challenge the governor ... we need you to reconsider your position. We need a governor who is more interested in the taxpayers of this state and not the special interest groups,"" he said.  

According to Walker, he and the other potential Republican candidates, U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Green Bay and state Rep. John Gard, R-Peshitgo, have one major goal: to put a new governor in office.  

But unlike the other candidates, Walker has set himself apart from the other candidates by his impressive victory in Milwaukee County, where he carried 58 percent. 

""I think that Scott Walker can win Milwaukee, and you have to win one [Milwaukee or Madison] by a clear majority. And I think he can do it,"" Christienson said.  

According to UW-Madison senior and College Republicans First Vice Chair Jackie Helmrick, Walker has done what not many other politicians have been able to do-follow through on campaign promises. 

""This race is really getting started, and Gov. Doyle has some tough competition coming his way,"" said Helmrick.