Bush administration admits hunt for WMDs in Iraq over

Wednesday The White House acknowledged the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq is over. The search ended without uncovering the stockpiles of weapons President Bush used as justification for overthrowing Saddam Hussein. 

According to a White House press release, spokesperson Scott McClellan said the weapons of mass destruction the U.S. believed were in Iraq based on the intelligence received were not there. The next step is to examine the faulty intelligence and correct any flaws. 

When asked if the error would damage American credibility, McClellan said

othing has changed in the terms of the President's view."" He added it was ""very clear"" the Hussein regime ""retained the intent and capability"" to pursue weapons of mass destruction once U.N. sanctions against them were eliminated. 

A report published in October by chief U.S. weapons inspector, Charles Duelfer, said Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction since 1991.  

McClellan was also optimistic about the Iraqi elections Jan. 30, saying these historic elections are ""important to making America more secure and making the world a better place.""