Missing student gets nat'l attention

As Madison Public Relations Officer Larry Kamholz spoke on national television news programs Tuesday over the disappearance of UW-Madison sophomore Audrey Seiler, police searched door-to-door in Seiler's apartment building and obtained phone records from the night she disappeared. According to WKOW News, police also questioned Seiler's boyfriend.  

Kamholz spoke to ABC's \Good Morning America"" and NBC's ""Today Show"" Tuesday morning. Later that day, police questioned UW-Madison students living in The Regent Apartments, 1402 Regent St., where Seiler was last seen.  

Madison Police Sgt. Jim Dexheimer said this procedure has been done in the past several times. 

Dexheimer also said it is a general investigative technique to look at a missing person's phone records.  

Police say that, as of now, they have no reason to believe a crime was committed. 

Also Tuesday, members of the police department and family and friends of Seiler, wearing ribbons and pins with Audrey's face, gathered at the Monona Terrace, 1 John Nolen Dr., to provide an update on the investigation. All remain hopeful that the case will end happily. 

""We are optimistic that with the community's assistance we are going to locate Audrey and that she will be reunited with her family,"" said Madison Police Capt. Luis Yudice. 

The police continue to look into a previous attack last month, when Seiler was approached from behind on Randall Street and knocked unconscious. She woke up unharmed and without missing possessions, but her body had been moved from the location of the attack. Police are not ruling out the possibility that someone was stalking Seiler, although neither family nor police knew of any possible suspect.  

Yudice said the previous attack did increase the early urgency the department felt. 

""That was a factor, that she had been previously attacked ... but it's unusual for a person to be attacked by a total stranger on the street,"" Yudice said. 

Audrey's father made a statement to the more than 300 volunteers that have helped search for his daughter, according to http://www.findaudrey.wisc.edu. 

""From the bottom of my heart I'd like to thank the many friends and family that come from some distance to look for Audrey,"" Keith Seiler said. ""We're hopeful and remain confident that we will find Audrey safe and will take as long as it takes."" 

The Regent will hold a vigil tonight at 7 p.m. in support of Seiler's family and friends.