Club Amazon may close, undergo renovations

Club Amazon, 624 University Ave., might close at the end of the semester and undergo major renovations, according to owner John O'Korek and city officials. 

O'Korek, who also owns Johnny O's, 620 University Ave., said while it is possible his establishment might shut down by the time students leave for summer break, he does not wish to comment further until the event actually occurs. 

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said O'Korek met with the Alcohol License Review Committee in February to get informal advice about Club Amazon and changes he might make to it.  

According to city ordinance, O'Korek must get the approval of ALRC and City Council to make any renovations. 

Verveer said O'Korek mentioned the possibility of changing Club Amazon into a pizza restaurant, with a bar and dance floor. 

\He has no interest in selling that business,"" Verveer said. ""I don't really foresee any huge, dramatic changes."" 

Most of the changes, if they occur, will be cosmetic, Verveer added. 

O'Korek has changed the theme of his establishments before, as Bullwinkle's used to occupy the building housing Club Amazon.