Police arrest Smith on assault allegations

Badger football running back Dwayne Smith was arrested Sunday along with 22-year-old Madison resident Anwar Jones following allegations of second-degree assault by a 19-year-old Madison woman. 

The woman met one of the suspects Saturday night at a party in an apartment downtown, according to a police department press release. She then reportedly left the party and was assaulted at a location in the 600 block of North Frances Street. The press release also stated she was treated and released from a Madison hospital. 

Lt. Sue Williams of the Madison Police Department said Jones and Smith, a UW-Madison sophomore, were identified through police investigation, but would not say exactly how that occurred. Second-degree sexual assault is sexual assault that involves the use of force or threatened use of force, according to Williams. 

Williams said the police hope to have initial reports regarding the case to the district attorney's office by the end of the week. The police would not give further information regarding the case out of concern for the continuing investigation, Williams said. 

\It is an ongoing investigation and we want to make sure we don't do anything to compromise it,"" she said. 

The two men were in police custody as of Monday. Jones is a Madison resident, according to Williams.  

Smith, as a student-athlete, is in violation of the Athletic Department's Student-Athlete Discipline Policy, and has been suspended in accordance with that policy, according to Steve Malchow, associate athletic director of communications.  

Malchow said Smith's suspension covers competitions and practices, although the football team is currently in off-season conditioning. 

""When spring practice begins, on March the 4th, if this hasn't been resolved yet he would be suspended from that,"" Malchow said. 

Smith has 72 hours from receiving his notice of suspension to appeal the action. Malchow said he expected the letter to be delivered to Smith Monday afternoon. 

""If the allegations prove to be true, this type of behavior is simply unacceptable,"" UW-Madison football Head Coach Barry Alvarez said in response to Smith's arrest in a press release, adding the discipline policy is intended to underscore the seriousness of such incidents.