Dean bashes Bush at Memorial Union rally

Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean continued his effort to win Wisconsin's Feb. 17 primary by courting the younger vote Thursday, telling UW-Madison students he wants to restore the Democratic party's principles and give President George Bush a \one-way ticket back to Crawford, Texas"" at the Wisconsin Union Theater. 

At a rally featuring an opening act by Natty Nation and an audience of predominantly UW-Madison students, Dean said Tuesday's primary is an opportunity for Wisconsin residents to take back their country from special interest groups. 

""The question is: What do you want now? Because there's a big difference between what goes on in Washington and what goes on in the rest of the country,"" he said. 

Dean referenced desire to return the United States to ordinary people as a reason for citizens to vote for him, saying there is a difference between presidents who do the right thing when it is convenient and presidents who do the right thing regardless of popularity. 

""As a doctor, Governor Dean looks at all the facts before making a decision,"" said Joel Thomas, a first-year medical student at UW-Madison. He added one of the main reasons he supports Dean is because he knows Dean will do better than Bush at ensuring healthcare for all Americans. 

Dean not only promoted his campaign for improved healthcare, but also criticized Bush's budgetary priorities. The $87 million spent on the war in Iraq could have provided healthcare for seniors, he said. 

Dean also promoted using wind energy, adding the United States has become second-rate in terms of renewable energy. 

""The President of the United States has a substance problem and it's spelled O-I-L,"" Dean said, drawing a rousing ovation from the crowd. 

Since Wisconsin is the only state with a primary Tuesday, it is an important checkpoint. 

Voters can return principles to the Democratic party Tuesday, Dean said, and give 50 percent of Americans a reason to vote in the presidential elections.  

""On Tuesday, you have the power to take our country back, so that our flag is not the exclusive property of Dick Cheney and Haliburton,"" he said.