Council passes Phase One of State Street redesign

In an effort many years in the making, the Madison City Council unanimously passed the first phase of the State Street Redesign Project Tuesday night. Despite concern regarding bus shelter cost, Phase One, which will reconstruct the 100 block and part of the 200 block of State Street around the Overture Center, is meant to help enhance downtown Madison's business community and the street's aesthetic qualities.  

The redesign, which will break ground in late April, will feature new sidewalks, streets, kiosks, planters, movable furniture and street lights, according to The Capital Times. Eleven bus shelters will also be removed and replaced with seven new locally designed shelters. 

Sandi Torkildson, owner of A Room of One's Own Feminist Bookstore and Coffeehouse, 307 W. Johnson St., and president of the Greater State Street Business Association, said the costs of the bus shelters was originally determined to be approximately $28,000 but is now $49,000, a price she claimed should be reconsidered.  

Members of the council shared Torkildson's sentiment. 

\In these economic times, $49,000 is a tremendous amount of money,"" said Mary Lang Sollinger, chair of the downtown design commission, in context with budget cuts for social programs. ""This can be revisited ... [the council can] separate bus shelters and bus shelter cost from Phase One,"" she said. 

Ald. Austin King, District 5, defended the project's choice of bus shelter, despite the cost, calling it a great investment. 

""It is financially responsible because it is created in a way to minimize future costs associated with maintenance,"" he said. 

""There is no controversy tonight but for one small aspect ... it would be a mistake to sidetrack the project,"" said City Council President and Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. He encouraged the council to swallow the cost and look beyond the shelters to the redesign as a whole and avoid unnecessary delays as Phase One is set be completed by Overture's opening in September 2004. 

Despite vocal frustration with the cost associated with the bus shelters, the council acknowledged the vitality State Street gives to Madison and the culmination of four years of work the redesign signified. 

""[The redesign process is a] true living example of a hyperdemocracy ... there was maximum public input,"" Verveer said. ""This is truly the most special, most important street in the community.\