SLAC, workers rally against Tyson

In another episode of the Tyson Foods, Inc. debate, approximately 75 people, including students and Tyson workers, rallied outside of Tyson Board of Director David Jones' home Saturday afternoon. 

Josh Healey, Student Labor Action Coalition member and UW-Madison junior, said approximately 30 Tyson workers participated in the rally, along with other members from SLAC and the International Socialist Organization. 

The strike, which has been underway in Jefferson, Wis., since February, is in response to wage freezes, lower wages for starting positions and reduced health care benefits as part of a revised contract for Tyson workers. 

According to Healey, they targeted Jones because he holds power within the Tyson organization.  

\The Tyson company is based in Arkansas, so it's hard to go down to their headquarters,"" he said. ""This man lives here in Wisconsin and these are people from Wisconsin that he is forcing into poverty."" 

The rally had a holiday theme, with protesters singing Christmas carols with pro-worker themes, such as ""God Rest ye Merry Laborers"" and ""Rudolph the Union Reindeer."" 

""David Jones was the Grinch ... and we left a lump of coal on his step,"" Healey said.  

Healey said Jones left his house shortly after the protesters arrived. However, he added the rally was not a complete loss, because they received support from many of Jones' neighbors. Healey said he hopes the neighbors will put pressure on Jones to help the workers.  

Healey said workers have tried to contact Jones throughout the strike, but that Jones refuses to speak with them.