Thanksgiving away from home

Maybe your procrastination is forcing you to study for the next two weeks straight. Or your boss has scheduled you to work Thanksgiving break. Perhaps you just cannot stand your entire extended family asking you, \What's your major? How old are you, again?"" for the zillionth time. Whatever the reason, you aren't going home for Thanksgiving. 

But although you're stuck in Madison for the most gluttonous holiday of all, you shouldn't miss out on a fabulous home-cooked meal. The Daily Cardinal has found six places to get a hearty Thanksgiving dinner next week that will warm your soul and tempt your palate. 

The Essen Haus 

Although Thanksgiving is an American holiday, the German restaurant the Essen Haus, 514 E. Wilson St., hosts a feast with all the trimmings. For $10.95 per person, parties will enjoy a whole turkey served at the table to carve themselves. Included with the meal are stuffing, potatoes, gravy, vegetables, pie and non-alcoholic drinks. The spread at the Essen Haus lasts from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Call the Essen Haus at 255-4674 for details. 

The Dayton Street Bistro 

From 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.Thursday, the Madison Concourse Hotel, 1 W. Dayton St., will host Thanksgiving dinner in its Dayton Street Bistro restaurant. For $18.95 for adults, $6.95 for kids and $16.95 for seniors, guests can devour a huge spread prepared by the Concourse chefs. The menu includes turkey and Virginia ham, a variety of potato dishes, vegetables, pies and other mouthwatering Thanksgiving favorites. Reservations are required, so call 257-6000 to ensure a table. 

Memorial Union 

For a truly hassle-free Thanksgiving dinner, take advantage of the spread in Memorial Union's Tripp Commons from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Thanksgiving Day. The buffet includes turkey, glazed ham and classic side dishes, as well as pumpkin and fudge-bottom pie for dessert. Diners pay $17.95 for adults, $9.95 for children ages 6 to 12 and $4.95 for children under 6, and children under 2 eat for free. Reservations are encouraged. Call Carl Korz, Wisconsin Union Catering director, at 265-8691 and leave a message including name, phone number, party size and arrival time, or e-mail Korz at ckorz@wisc.edu. 

Bethel Lutheran Church 

This Sunday, Nov. 23, area students and faculty can gorge together at Bethel Lutheran Church, 312 Wisconsin Ave. At noon, the church will commence a free Thanksgiving dinner for students, staff and faculty of UW-Madison, Madison Area Technical College and Edgewood College. There will be plenty of turkey, stuffing and potatoes, but reservations are required. RSVP to the Lutheran Campus Center at 257-7178 or Bethel Lutheran Church at 257-3577 by tonight. 

The Edgewater Hotel 

For a first-class Thanksgiving experience, try the Admiralty Room at the Edgewater Hotel, 666 Wisconsin Ave. The Thanksgiving buffet lasts from noon to 8 p.m. and features live piano music in the lakefront dining room. The meal is $29.95 per person, but your tastebuds will surely thank you for the scrumptious meal. The spread includes fruit, soup, salad, potatoes, green beans, various desserts, smoked salmon and, for parties of six or more, a whole turkey carved tableside. Reservations are required-call 256-9071 for further details. 

The White Horse Inn 

The White Horse Inn, 202 N. Henry St., prides itself on its extensive Thanksgiving buffet. The feast is held from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thanksgiving Day for $19.95 per person. The buffet includes turkey and traditional side dishes, and parties of four or more receive a whole bird to carve at their table. Best of all, the White Horse will package the leftovers for guests to take home. The White Horse requires reservations; to make them, call 255-9933.