Student groups discuss solutions for fan behavior

UW-Madison students voiced problems and possible solutions concerning negative Badger fan behavior at sporting events at an Alumni Association conference Wednesday. 

Dean of Students Luoluo Hong, who hosted the discussion, said she sees two separate problems with abusive fan behavior. One deals with the manner in which UW-Madison fans treat visiting fans, and the other concerns vulgar songs and chants. 

The group, comprised of members from the Associated Students of Madison, the Athletic Department, the Wisconsin Alumni Student Board, the Badger Student Fan Club, the InterFraternity Council, University Communications, The Badger Herald and The Daily Cardinal, among others, agreed abusive treatment of fans is more important to deal with for now. 

The problematic behavior includes Badger fans physically or verbally harassing supporters of the opposition, which has some such spectators saying they will never return to Camp Randall. 

Though fans have been the focus of various media sources recently, many still do not understand the implications of their actions, UW-Madison senior Annie Trimberger said. 

\A lot of people don't think they're doing anything wrong,"" she said. 

Students came up with numerous possible solutions to increase awareness of the problem, in hopes that such actions would curb harassment. Such ideas include creating a free brochure emphasizing positive sportsmanship with diction aimed at students and having well-known football players speak to incoming freshmen or before games. 

Other ideas included warning students of the consequences of such disruptive behavior before problems start.  

""There isn't enough of a police presence,"" ASM Chair Austin Evans said. 

Since students have not made concrete plans for change thus far, they will meet again Wednesday Dec. 10.