Former homeless share experiences

Patrice Latif came to Madison with high hopes, told it was a great place for women and children. Within two weeks she was homeless. She said she found difficulty getting into shelters because of long waiting lists and extensive background checks. 

In Monday night's forum for Hunger Awareness Week, hosted by the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group, formerly homeless women who serve as volunteers for the Tenant Advocacy Group related stories of homelessness. 

Anne Myers, spokesperson for Porchlight, a merged agency of transitional housing and community and housing services said UW-Madison students living near campus can afford higher rents than lower-income adults in Madison. This reality drives many adults out of the housing market, she said. 

As a result, from July to the end of September, Porchlight served and sheltered 599 people and turned away 5,284. 

Myers cited addiction as a way for homeless people to self-medicate and said she believed the majority of money panhandlers receive goes to alcohol or drugs. 

She said she knows many of the  egular drunks"" on State Street and pities them because alcoholism is a disease they cannot control. 

Kyle Hayes, a UW-Madison senior and WisPIRG intern, said he thought students were generally aware of the problems with homelessness, but they tend to confine it to the panhandlers they see on State Street. 

""Most single adults who are homeless have an addiction or mental health problem,"" TAG volunteer Mary Moore added. 

Myers cited previous criminal records as another reason homeless people could not find houses or jobs. 

""There were times I went hungry to see my kids fed,"" Latif said.  

Latif said she was forced to steal and because of her record, she feels looked down upon now. She said she was glad to have gotten a second chance, but feels people should be more accepting of others with previous criminal records. 

Latif also advocated the need for the government to become more actively involved with the increasing problem of homelessness in Madison. 

Myers cited an increasing need for shelters and decreasing funds from the federal government. 

""I just wish [the Legislature would] experience poverty long enough to experience where I'm coming from,"" Moore said. 

""The bottom line is that everyone should have safe and affordable housing no matter who they are,"" she added.