Badgers finish preseason 2-0

It was exactly what Wisconsin Head Coach Bo Ryan had in mind: A tough, physical exhibition victory to prepare the two-time defending Big Ten champions for their season opener Friday at Pennsylvania. 

The Badgers defeated the Charleston Lowgators of the National Basketball Developmental League 102-95 Monday night in front of a near-capacity crowd at the Kohl Center.  

\Top to bottom they got a lot of years of pretty good basketball,"" Ryan said of Charleston's roster. ""Good conferences, NBA level. That's what we wanted."" 

Junior guard Devin Harris' 28 points and nine assists were too much for Charleston to overcome.  

""He's so quick off the dribble,"" said Charleston Head Coach Doug Marty. ""Very hard to contain. Very active, a great athlete and a super basketball player. He's going to have a great year."" 

Junior forward Mike Wilkinson added 18 points and senior guard Freddie Owens chipped in 14, including two three-pointers. 

Wisconsin fell behind 15-10 in the opening five minutes. It took the Badgers a while to adjust to the up-tempo style of a team usually playing with a 24-second shot clock. 

""They leak a guy out and we don't catch it,"" Ryan said of Charleston's early transition success. 

Although sophomore forwards Alando Tucker, Andreas Helmigk and Jason Chappell did not play due to injury, the Badgers received good news as sophomore guard Boo Wade returned earlier than expected from a sprained knee. Wade complimented the UW backcourt nicely with 15 points. 

The Badgers led 49-38 at halftime and took a 72-55 lead with 13 minutes left in the second half on two free throws by sophomore forward Ray Nixon. Charleston then rallied and with a three-pointer by guard Tierre Brown, cutting the UW lead to 94-91. Brown, who played part of last season with the Cleveland Cavaliers, scored 25 of his game-high 29 points in the second half.  

""We made him try to beat us a different way each time,"" Ryan said. ""He took it to the hole and put the little floater up. He came down and just stared Boo down and knocks a three down. ... That's a player."" 

But the Badgers responded with 10 of 12 free throws in the final minute to seal the win. 

""I like the way we hit free throws,"" Ryan said. ""That was key. If we're not hitting those free throws it's their ball game.\