A time to give thanks... at last

A little while back, my buddy Skippy admonished me for not being positive even once in my columns this year. After soundly drubbing him with insults geared towards his loved ones, I realized he made a point. I have never been positive or thankful for anything I've seen in sports this year. So what am I thankful for? 

I'm thankful for Mike Allen's field goal in the Alamo Bowl and Wes Walz's mid-air swipe for a goal against Vancouver in game seven of the Western Conference finals. I'm thankful for Freddie Owens' miraculous shot against Tulsa in Boise and Adam Burish's key shorthanded goal last Saturday. I'm thankful for the ice that flowed through Devin Harris' veins at the line against Illinois and the dignity and class of Kirk Penney. 

I'm thankful for that three-hour orgasm known as the Badgers-Spartans game last week. I don't think I could have derived any more pleasure if I was a women's studies major watching Lifetime, eating chocolate ice cream and reading O magazine (I'm joking, please don't firebomb me). 

I'm thankful for Brett Favre beating the Vikings at the 'Dome with the use of four fingers. I'm even more grateful for watching the game with a Vikings fan. I'm thankful for Jim Leonhard giving us an iota of hope against Purdue and Alex Lewis' hustle on every single play of every single game. I'm thankful for a kick-ass Men's cross-country team that gets no love despite being the most dominant team this school has. 

I'm thankful for Lee Evans ... oh, sweet Lee Evans. In fact, I'm so thankful, I'm going to say it for each time he scored last week. 

I'm thankful for Lee Evans ... oh, sweet Lee Evans. 

I'm thankful for watching Slammin' Sammy create magic in the bottom of the eighth and Barry Bonds giving his heart to baseball after his father's had ceased. For Torii Hunter's game-ending catch against Oakland in July and Eric Gagne's perfection, with the exception of Hank Blalock in the All-Star game. I'm thankful for Dontrelle's spring and Beckett's fall. 

I'm thankful for the Packers taking Nick Barnett over E.J. Henderson and Boss Bailey ... even if it took me until October to understand. I'm thankful that the Bucks chose substance (T.J. Ford) over style (keeping Cassell). I'm thankful that David Robinson left on top (where he deserves to go). 

I'm thankful for finding \Chicago Cubs-National League Champion"" pennants on the street and watching Dohman send them to his Cubs friends signed by Steve Bartman. I'm thankful for those goofy hockey fans waiting for tickets two weeks ahead of time. I'm thankful for cheeseheads and homer hankies. 

I'm thankful for learning the concept of ""reach"" in boxing from Skippy's right hook. I'm thankful for just witnessing the greatest Camp Randall crowd I've ever experienced ... and in the rain no less! I'm thankful for those hugs of joy after we won the Big Ten and those hugs of comfort after the Sweet Sixteen. I'm thankful for ""Jump Around"" and ""Swingtown"" and ""Sieve!"" 

Most of all, I'm thankful that when you say Wisconsin, you've said it all. 

Mike Jones is a senior majoring in political science and international studies. He can be reached for comment at mikejones@dailycardinal.com.