A new season ahead for UW soccer

The UW women's soccer team enters the Big Ten conference season with an impressive record and high aspirations. 

The Badgers finished their tough non-conference schedule with a 4-2-1 record and could be a force to be reckoned with in the Big Ten. Predicted to finish third in the conference, UW brings a more experienced and balanced team to the field in comparison to years past. 

\I just feel we have a lot more versatility this year, from freshman to seniors,"" said senior midfielder Jenny Kundert. 

Kundert, a co-captain and leader of the team, has four goals in a team-high 11 points and is in position for her best season yet. Even though Kundert is Head Coach Dean Duerst's most consistent scoring threat, many other Badgers have scored and made solid contributions. 

""We have some great players on the team,"" Kundert said, ""Anybody on the team could go in at any second and we would be all right."" 

Sophomore midfielder Katy Lindenmuth is definitely one of those that supports Kundert's feelings. Lindenmuth has been very integral to the Badgers early success by scoring two goals and dishing out three assists. The Geneva, Ill. native feels this year's squad has many new players that have made them an offensive threat, but it is important that they finish games. 

A difficult non-conference schedule against the likes of California, Nebraska and Marquette has prepared UW for the Big Ten season, one in which only a handful of team are strong enough to win the conference title.?? Coach Duerst feels that the non-conference games gave some of the younger players a chance to experience Big Ten-type competition. 

""I'm really excited with our play and I feel that we have prepared really well for the upcoming season,"" Duerst said. ""The younger players have done really well and you can see how they are adjusting."" 

Freshman midfielder Kara Kabellis and freshman forward Emily Kintzer have adjusted well to the college game, scoring two goals a piece and helping the Badgers become a more complete team. 

The Badgers begin the Big Ten season this weekend, hosting Indiana Friday night and Purdue Sunday afternoon.?? Although neither team is expected to be towards the top of the conference, the players know they cannot be taken lightly either. 

""We are definitely going to prepare more physically cause those two teams, especially Indiana, are two of the more physical teams in the Big Ten,"" Kundert said. ""So we are going to have to come out ready to hit some bodies and lay some people out."" 

While the Big Ten is really up for grabs, Wisconsin, Michigan and Penn State have the strongest teams with the most depth. Penn State is ranked No. 7 in both the Soccer Times Coaches Poll and the NSCAA/Adidas Poll. Michigan suffered a disappointing beginning to the season but is expected to push for the Big Ten crown. Purdue and Ohio State are also dark horses that could surprise teams and make a run at the title. 

Though there is no telling who will come out on top of the Big Ten this year, it is important for Wisconsin to come out of this weekend with confidence, no injuries and, hopefully, two wins. 

""It will be real important to win these first two games to give us momentum going into the rest of the season,"" Lindenmuth said.