This 'Parade' runs out

President George W. Bush is an idiot. He, like all Republicans, is an evil, evil person who is deliberately trying to steal from the poor to give to the rich.  

Even if you sincerely believe this, Robert Burrows' \The Great American Parade"" is simply an awful book. 

Here is the story: Since Bush just barely made it into office in 2000, he was determined to solidify support for his leadership. How to do this?  

""After considering various possibilities, he decided to organize a great parade to be held in Washington on the Fourth of July 2002.""  

Indeed.The first four chapters outline the intricacies of organizing the parade.  

""Simply identify those with the highest earnings and have them march from the highest to lowest,"" U.S. Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Menomonee Falls, suggests early on. 

Tipped off by Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., five members of The Daily Cardinal staff work to stage a counter-parade to draw attention to just how bad Republicans are. 

These student editors and reporters organize a rally using the financial resources of George Soros, Bill Gates and Barbra Streisand. 

Is the counter-rally a success? How will Bush respond to it? Who cares?  

Burrows' forays into the absurd lack the humor of satire and the plausibility of drama. The dialogue is utterly atrocious. The real-life, satirized characters are completely one-dimensional, unrealistic, and uninteresting. 

Even the type of person who enjoys watching bad movies will have a tough time stomaching ""Parade."" 

This polemic is a long, drawn-out rant that is a perfect example of how easy it has become to self-publish. And a remarkable warning to all those who one day wish to do so.