City's 24/7 taxi service policy easy to meet

The City of Madison promotes and maximizes competition in its taxi ordinance; however, it also protects the well being of its citizens. 

Madison has only two essential requirements to operate as a taxi: serve the entire city (no redlining) and be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In reality, this means that a cab company must consist of a minimum of two to three drivers and two to three vehicles. That is hardly a barrier to begin service. 

The grocery store analogy made by Mr. Roach is incorrect. A more accurate analogy would be that the City would not allow a hot dog stand to conduct business in front of Dog Eat Dog. Likewise, the state will not allow a bank to only offer mortgages to white affluent communities. Federal, state and local governments all recognize that regulations that protect the public are viable and legal'they are not trusts or monopolies. The study that Mr. Verveer refers to compares Madison to other cities that have many different aspects affecting price (higher level of government regulation, professional sports teams, higher level of pedestrian traffic, more comprehensive mass transit, higher parking rates, etc.) not the least of which is geography. All of those items increase the demand for taxi service, which allows posted rates to remain lower. In fact, the biggest factor in low cab rates is increased government regulation, not less. 

The taxi companies in this town are very competitive. Madison is one of the most competitive markets in the country (in my opinion). If the 24/7 rule is lifted and one-car operations are allowed to exist, the market will be flooded by these rogue cab companies. This is what happened in Indianapolis. In that environment, it would be impossible to absorb the costs of a 24/7 operation. 

Madison residents and visitors receive a high level of service from its cabbies. They receive that service even if they need a cab at 5 a.m. on a Sunday or live on the outskirts of town. Mr. Roach should work within existing rules that benefit all citizens rather than trying to change them for his personal benefit.