NFL Draft Preview: Part 1

The following is the first of a two-part guide to the 2002 NFL Draft. This year promises to have quality depth at many position, especially defensive tackle. Today, we analyze teams in the AFC. 

Entering its first season in the NFL, the issue that faces this franchise is not what it needs, but instead, what it does not need. With nearly every position needing to be filled or improved, the Texans will have the luxury of selecting the best player available with each pick in the draft. Fresno State quarterback David Carr is a lock as the team's No. 1 pick, as contract talk has already been well under way between the Texans and Carr and his agent.  

The Bills need a lot of help with this draft, mainly on the offensive line, which was notorious for giving up too many sacks on former quarterback Rob Johnson. They will probably take the best offensive lineman available with their first pick. If the team is unable to trade for New England Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe, Buffalo could also look to draft quarterback Joey Harrington of Oregon.  

With the fifth selection, San Diego will most likely select a cornerback or improve its offensive line. Look for the Chargers to jump at the opportunity to select a good athlete like cornerback Quentin Jammer of Texas. He is the best cornerback available in the draft and would dramatically improve their pass defense. 

If Jammer is not available, the Chargers may grab one of two mammoth offensive tackles. Bryant McKinnie (6'8\, 345 lbs) of Miami or Mike Williams of Texas (6'5"", 375 lbs) would serve as excellent barriers in protecting franchise quarterback Drew Brees.  

Running back Priest Holmes led the NFL in rushing last season with 1,555 yards and eight touchdowns. Unfortunately, the Chiefs' ball control offense could not thrive because of their erratic defensive play last season. This is an area that must be addressed if Kansas City plans to win more than six games next season. With selection No. 8, look for the Chiefs to bolster their pass defense with either Jammer'if he is still available'or safety Roy Williams of Oklahoma. 

No team in the league may have been as hurt in the off-season as the Jaguars were. With the loss of Pro Bowl tackles Gary Walker and Tony Boselli on the offensive line, along with linebacker Kevin Hardy, there are many problems that need to be addressed. The likelihood of the Jaguars securing their needs at the offensive line position in the first round is unlikely. Therefore, the most likely result is the drafting of a defensive tackle, possibly Wisconsin's Wendell Bryant.  

Coming off a 6-10 season, the Bengals are starting to search for pieces to a championship puzzle. However, they still need a starting quarterback and a cover corner on defense. Since Cincinnati is still a year or two away from true contender status, look for the Bengals to draft a cornerback, possibly Jammer or Williams. 

With the arrival of former Tampa Bay Head Coach Tony Dungy, it is only appropriate that the focus of the Colts' draft day will be defensive, as Dungy looks to create one of the best defenses in the NFL as he did at Tampa Bay. However, his task will be easy by no means. Most likely, the Colts will open up draft day with the selection of a defensive lineman such as Bryant, Albert Haynesworth, Ryan Sims or John Henderson.  

Like the Colts, the Titans will look to improve on the defensive side of the ball. The most imperative problem that needs to be addressed is the secondary as the Titans finished last season with the league's worst passing defense. With the No. 14 pick overall, the Titans would also look for the opportunity to draft one of the top lineman if one of them is still on the board. 

The Browns' most glaring weakness at the end of last season was an every-down halfback who could take the ball 20 to 30 times per game.  

Look for the Browns to draft either Michigan State tailback T.J. Duckett or Boston College's William Green to shore up that hole. 

The Broncos need a high-caliber offensive tackle that can contribute immediately and contend for a starting job. There is a good chance tackle Mike Pearson of Florida could move into the vacant position. Scouts love his 6'6"", 305-pound frame and quick footwork. The Broncos could also use another wide receiver to add to their already-potent offense. Jabbar Gaffney of Florida and Donte Stallworth of Tennessee would be good fits. 

The suspension of Darrell Russell and loss of Grady Jackson to free agency has devastated Oakland's once impressive defensive line. With two first round picks at 21 and 23, the Raiders will definitely take a look at defensive end Dwight Freeney of Syracuse and defensive tackle Larry Tripplett of Washington. 

The Jets lost both of their starting cornerbacks in the Houston Texans expansion draft, and they would like to draft defensively starting at the cornerback position. New York is very impressed with cornerback Lito Sheppard of Florida. The Jets would also like to add an offensive tackle and a tall wide receiver to balance out the size of 5'10"" wide receiver Wayne Chrebet. 

Two years after winning the Super Bowl, the Baltimore Ravens do not resemble that championship-caliber team. Losing many players to free agency this offseason, the Ravens have many holes to fill. It will be unlikely that a quality receiver will fall to the Ravens at No. 24, so look for Baltimore to go for a player on the defensive side of the ball, especially a cover corner. 

For a team that sported the top-ranked defense in the NFL in 2002, Pittsburgh accomplished it without much depth in its secondary. But with the No. 30 pick in the draft, the Steelers will be more inclined to take the best player available for the first round. 

After winning the Super Bowl last year, Head Coach Bill Belichick will do most of his work to build his prided defense that has lost linebacker Bryan Cox, one of the team's defensive leaders. 

Also, since the Patriots do not have to worry about problems with Terry Glenn, they could also draft a quality wide receiver. Michigan wide receiver Marquise Walker is a possibility for the last pick in the first round. 

The Dolphins will not be able to draft until the third round since they traded their first two picks away, including one to the New Orleans Saints for running back Ricky Williams. Miami's first priority is a better offensive line to block for Williams, although they will also look for a standout tight end or punter. If tight ends Doug Jolley of BYU or Matt Schobel of TCU are still available in the third round, they could be taken instead.