Bauman OKs seven new officers despite budget

Madison Mayor Sue Bauman cracked open her hiring freeze and authorized the Police Department to hire the seven new officers as approved by the City Council last November over Bauman's objection that the move was fiscally irresponsible. 

Despite reassurances from the state Legislature that municipalities will not lose their share of state funding through the shared revenue program during the current fiscal year, the city could lose up to $8 million in 2003, something that was addressed during the special City Council meeting March 26. 

The new police officers, which would increase the police force to 382 individuals, will have their first three years paid through the federal Community Oriented Policing Services grant, but the city will eventually take on the responsibility of their salaries. 

Bauman agreed to the hirings on the condition that the Police Department will not cut positions or services during the upcoming years, since doing so could violate the federal grant and force Madison to pay millions of dollars in fines.