ALRC schedules April 25 hearing for Comprehensive Alcohol Issues Report

Madison residents will have to wait a few more weeks to voice their opinions on the controversial Comprehensive Alcohol Issues Report, which may, if passed, ban drink specials after 8 p.m. throughout the city. 

The Alcohol License Review Committee moved Wednesday to hold a special session on April 25 to deal exclusively with the issue to give the subcommittee that authored the report more time to fine-tune the study. 

\We had a full schedule tonight and to give the committee everything it deserves it seemed prudent to have a special meeting to address the report,"" Ald. Kent Palmer, District 15, chair of the subcommittee, said, adding that he expects the ALRC to pass the recommendations in time for the proposal to be brought before the City Council on May 7. ""We're going to have a resolution to have the council give their general approval on."" 

Both students and local leaders have expressed concerns that the report is too draconian in its approach in curbing problems related to alcohol problems.  

Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, chair of the ALRC, said he was surprised that most of the attention has been on a partial ban on drink specials. 

""That was just one small aspect of the report,"" he said. ""A lot of what you're seeing is an overall package approach to serious public safety issues."" 

In other committee business, Jongyean Lee's request to have ownership of both Riley's Wines of the World, 402 W. Gorham St., and Church Key Liquor, 626 University Ave., transferred to her from her husband was referred to the next ALRC meeting in order to provide time for her to consult with the Madison Police Department. 

Hyungirl Lee pled guilty to federal tax evasion Feb. 26 in federal court. During a three-year period between 1994 and 1997, Hyungirl Lee did not account for nearly half a million dollars worth of income on his tax forms. His wife was not charged with any crime. 

MPD Sgt. Emil Quast said the department had a number of concerns with both of Lee's properties beyond the issue of fraudulent tax returns. 

""The number-one concern is overserving,"" he said. ""Yes, you can overserve in a liquor store, it's when street alcoholics that are drunk when they walk in and ... are served."" 

The ALRC commended the City Council for approving a request from the Regent Street Retreat, 1206 Regent St., to increase its capacity from 150 to 400. The venue offers a number of underage music events. 

""The positives by far exceed the possible liabilities,"" Bruer said. ""Any license holder who wants to replicate this process'we're all ears."" 

Quast also said he was highly supportive of any venue that offers nonalcoholic and alternative activities. 

Vintage Spirits and Grill, which will be taking the place of The Living Room, 529 University Ave., also received approval to serve alcohol at its new restaurant.