Heartbreaking loss for UW

The men's hockey team dropped its last puck of the season and UW Head Coach Jeff Sauer coached the final game of his career as the Badgers lost 3-2 in overtime to Colorado College at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn.  

The game had its share of ironies for Sauer, as he grew up in St. Paul and played for Colorado College. He later coached the team for 11 years prior to coming to Wisconsin, where he just concluded his 20th season as head coach.  

The Tigers dominated in the first period, with a goal from Colorado College sophomore forward Colin Stuart that trickled past Wisconsin junior goaltender Scott Kabotoff. 

Wisconsin came back, however, in the second period, outshooting Colorado 13-6. UW's only goal in the period came from sophomore forward Rene Bourque, when he shot from outside the crease and into Tiger senior goaltender Jeff Sanger's net.  

Both teams capitalized on the ice in the third period. Colorado College senior forward Chris Hartsburg slid one past Kabotoff. However, the Tigers could not keep the lead and UW senior forward Matt Doman forced a sudden-death overtime when he scored with 1:31 left.  

Less than a minute into the overtime, Tiger sophomore forward Peter Sejna sent a high shot over Kabotoff's shoulder, bringing the final score to 3-2 in favor of the Tigers and sending them to the Western Collegiate Hockey Association semifinals. Colorado College will face off against the top-seeded Denver Pioneers today.  

Freshman goaltender Bernd Bruckler made his way to the 2002 WCHA All-Rookie team, and is the only Badger to receive postseason honors this year.  

Bruckler, who was tops in WCHA first-year goaltenders, had a .917 save percentage and allowed an average of 3.09 goals-against per game. Overall, Bruckler finished No. 5 in save percentage and seventh in goals-against average, becoming the first Badger since Jim Carey in 1992-'93 to be named to the All-Rookie team. He was also named WCHA Player of the Week March 4.  

Bruckler was not the only Badger to win WCHA awards. Sophomore forward Jake Heisler, junior forward Brad Winchester and senior forward Andy Wheeler were all named to the WCHA's All-Academic team for their accomplishments in the classroom.