City, business leaders to hear parking ramp ideas

Local leaders will receive public response to the location of the proposed Mid-State Street Parking Ramp during tonight's Downtown Neighborhood meeting. 

State Street business leaders proposed that the ramp be situated at the current location of the Buckeye Parking Lot in the 200 block of West Gorham and West Gilman Streets. 

Downtown alder Todd Jarrell, District 8, said this meeting will serve as a good starting point for the planning of the public project. 

\I just think it's really important that you have as much public input because we really don't know the people that live there and the people that work in the area or own property in the area feelings might be about the project,"" he said. 

Construction of the 300-350-parking-space ramp by the Madison Parking Utility will require the removal of three houses, something Jarrell said he has heard complaints about. 

""I've heard concerns that half of this area that their putting [the ramp] in is a residential area. And that may not be appropriate,"" he said. 

The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Marquee Room of the Madison Civic Center, 211 State St.